Chapter 24 : Devavrata's shock.

Devavrata stumbled back from the balcony railing the moment he caught a glimpse of her.

Is that her? But how? I thought she died!! ; 

Bhishma paced the length of his room, ignoring Kripa's befuddled look.

Images, flashes ----- memories of his past (which he had done everything to subdue in some unknown and unseen part of his heart) had resurfaced in the eyes of his mind. 

Ocean blue eyes, anklets, Amba -- He had met her that day in Panchala and he was realizing it now, after decades of meeting her. 

In every dream, nightmare or even thoughts of his, he never thought the eldest Princess of Kashi would be present in Hastinapura again, especially since he could never find her even after his spies went all across the country.

In the end, he had thought she was no more, something which his heart has refused to believe with a certainty of a rock. 

"How can he be her son!?" He mumbled still in disbelief that someone was her son and she was here, in his palace.

"Who be who's son, Devavrata?" asked Kripa, his brows still furrowed in confusion at his bestie's abrupt change in behaviour.

Bhishma glanced at him, having forgotten that he was even here. 

Kripa wondered what he should feel as he noticed his friend startle at his voice. He gave a glance towards the balcony, wondering who that woman was (who he had only gotten a small glimpse of) and if he should be excited that a woman had managed to make the great pillar of Hastinapura loose his sense of surrounding or despair that his friend had forgotten about his presence again.

Bhishma, on the other hand, was conflicted. Kripa had not been there when he had gone to meet his sister Kripi, as she had newly married then. He had, of-course, come to know of it later. But like a true friend, he had never blamed him, though he had looked disappointed. Hence he had not not known how the eldest Kashikanya looked like. 

But he knew and that was undoubtedly her. 

The urge to see her was strong --- the woman who was bold enough to demand the truth, the woman was unapologetic in stating her request and the woman who was capable of walking out after facing.....rejection from him. 

Amba watched amused as Satyavati did the aarti with shaky hands and a nervous expression. She could see both her sisters vibrating in their place. Laughing a bit, she held her arms out after the aarti was done. Both Ambika and Ambalika barreled into her with happy squeals, making her stumble. Thankfully Karna had stabilized her with a hand at her back.

"Jiji!!!" said Ambika, squeezing her tightly, "I missed you!!!"

"Uh, what's going on!?" She looked to find the previous child, a newly minted man of early twenties looking at them confusedly.

She heard Karna answer, "Can we take this inside please? The entrance of a palace is not a good place for this tale."

"Yes, yes," Satyavati seemed to have got back her bearings, "Absolutely. Maharaja, please be welcomed. Putrio, kindly let Rajmata go, so she may proceed inside."

Ambika and Ambalika reluctantly unwrapped their arms around their eldest sister, only to wrap their arms round her each arms and then pulling her inside excitedly. Everyone watched them go with bafflement in their eyes, except for those who knew. 

Satyavati was nervous at her sudden appearance. Karna looked resigned, but he made sure to keep an eye on his mother, all his overprotective senses tingling while Devika looked amused and happy to find her Guru Mata with her sisters. 

"How does the Queen Mothers know your mother?" whispered Ashwathama, leaning towards Karna. The other princes, Pandavas and Kauravas, all of whom had leaned in to know as well, looked curiously at the revealed King.

"Uh," Karna had a strained smile on his lips, "Mata is the eldest sister of the Queen Mothers."