Chapter 3 : Her Decision.

Amba, Ambika and Ambalika was bought to the ante-chamber beside the hall where the temporary wedding pavillion was constructed.

They heard the call of a feminine voice, "Summon the princesses."

Ambika and Ambalika exchanged a fearful glance with each other before turning towards Amba, who gave them a sad smile and a small nod. She would not follow them. 

Ambika sighed and took a deep breath while Ambalika clutched her hands tightly, before both went forward towards the pavillion area.

Amba heard the same female ask in a puzzling voice, "Bhishma, haven't you bought three princesses of Kashi? Where is the third one?"

Amba gritted her teeth, her anger coursing through her blood at the way she spoke about them, as if they were mere medium for a solution to a problem. She sounded conceited to her ears. She briefly wondered how her sisters would fare with such a mother-in-law.

She sighed, knowing she could not fret for them any longer. Her sisters need to take care of themselves now, without her guidance. It was hard to let them go but she would let them walk on the road they chose, for her road was different.

"I am here, Your Majesty," 

Amba's cold voice sent shivers down the people present to witness the wedding.

Vichitravirya, the Crown Prince of Hastinapura had flinched at the sharp voice which sounded as swift as the whip his elder brother used to discipline him. 

Amba sent him a distasteful look, before fixing her gaze on the woman, standing beside the pavillion, dressed in simple white garments with gold and white pearls as adornments. She ignored Bhishma although she had sneaked a glance at his surprised expression. 

Queen Mother Satyavati had an impassive face, for she was many things but a fool wasn't one of them. She had been pleased to see that Ambika and Ambalika were passive people.  She understood that if reason arose they could stand up as well, but there was a big 'if' there. As soon as the eldest arrived, she knew this woman won't be subdued by her in any way. She was as forceful as a storm with a thinking as quick as lightning. There was a spark in her and the way she spoke showed she knew her potential. She won't deny that she felt something big was about to happen. This princess won't take the injustice done to her with a bowed head. 

Bhishma was astonished at the tone of her voice. He could not help but feel amused yet his unsettled heart seem to beat even faster. He felt an unease creep within him. The fiery way in which she had questioned him before had rose some doubts in his mind, not that he had let it be expressed before anyone. He had known that there would be problem coming with the targeted questions she had asked previously. He hadn't informed his step-mother regarding them; not feeling the need to tell her more than what she asked. He wondered what this fiery princess would do in this wedding. 

"I was awaiting your presence, child," said Satyavati, her voice showing  fake happiness which Amba could discern well. 

Bhishma rolled his eyes discreetly at the show put on by the Queen Mother. It did not hide the calculative and cunning look in her eyes at all. He did notice that the eldest princess noticed it as well. He hid his smirk at the annoyance in her eyes as she gazed at Satyavati.

"Come sit," welcomed Satyavati, "The wedding is about to start."

A clear distaste crossed Amba's face at the offer, "I apologize but I won't be marrying your son, Your Highness."

Satyavati's eyes widen, for she had not foreseen this turn of the events. To a woman for whom reputation and power mattered, she could not foresee that someone could throw these away with ease. For wouldn't Amba be crowned the Chief Empress of Hastinapura, if she married her son? How could a princess, who knew these politics of a royal household throw away such an opportunity?