Chapter 20 : Invitation.

In Bhaskara,

"May the King live long!!" greeted a good looking man with a soft smile as he stood amongst the court of Vijayanagara.

"Sumant?" said Karna, looking surprised at his arrival, before he turned serious, "Is something the matter? Is someone attacking us? And where is Devika?"

Amba watched from her throne, which was side ways parallel to the throne of the king. She frowned, wondering why Sumant was here. He was the head of the spy system, who worked under Devika.

"Your Highness, The Princess has asked you to be ready because a messenger had come from Hastinapura."

She stiffened immediately controlling her expression. Why was a messenger of Hastinapura here? She was well aware of what was going on in the palace of Hastinapura, but Bhishma's sudden marriage plans is not going to be a reason for a messenger to be send.

He did not find a girl so fast, right? It should take some time to get a bride, surely? 

Amba did not let those depressing thoughts show on her face. Her heart had ached when she had heard the news, but she had been destroyed in this manner once. She had steeled her heart against more pain which was sure to arrive in the immediate future. 

She signaled one of the maids nearby, who quickly fell the netted drape so that the person on the other side would not be able to see her face. This was a personal preference when she did not want to leave the court, but would not like to show her face either. This messenger must have been trained to report everything to the Kingdom. She won't be shocked if that was the case.

"Send him in when he arrives." Amba heard Karna say softly. He glanced at her with a slight nervous look while she gave him a reassuring smile.

Her eyes traced the well clothed messenger, who though looked rather demure, had very keen eyes. She could tell just by looking at him. His gaze lingered on the drape in front of her for a few seconds, which was enough to show his surprise. After all, females usually did not hide their faces in the court.

"Greetings King!! I have come bearing an invitation from Hastinapura on the occasion of Vasant Panchami. The occasion and the subsequent fair would go on for seven days, hence, the Royal Family would be gratified with your and your family's presence."

Vasant Panchami's invitation!! Mahadeva, she had not realize when the festival of colours was upon them! So many necessary arrangements have to be made, but....

Why does she feel  that other than a mere invitation, this celebration in Hastinapura contains something more?

"Mother," I heard Karna call, as I looked up to him.

Looking around I noticed that the court has finished as people left and the drape in front of her had been removed too.

"Mother, what do you think of the invitation?"

He looked excited. Amba would not mind if Karna and Devika went but she did not wish to go to the place that had memories which she would rather forget or meet the man she had done a terrific job in avoiding.

Now, how was she supposed to tell her beloved son? Because Karna had no idea about her past and his reaction would not be pleasant!

Amba, after much troubles and deflection, had managed to escape from her beloved son's questions. As much as she loved his curious side and even encouraged it; it often than not made it hard to hide her past. A past she knew, she was running from, yet had no strength to confront. After all, had she not (un)consciously stayed away from Hastinapura, even when she was a mere ascetic? 

Deciding to take some time to ponder upon the current happenings, she took a walk amongst the wilderness of the Kingdom. She loved taking a walk amongst these paths, for she had travelled such paths more than half her life. How swift time had been! For those days were now mere memories of the past, yet they remained a vital part of her very personality. 

She did not want to go to Hastinapura. While the possibility of meeting her beloved sisters after decades acted as a bait, her fears and past experiences held her back. She wanted to go and yet she did not! 

Amba exhaled, eyes squeezing shut frustratingly. A few tears slipped past damp eyelids, as she opened those mesmerizing eyes again. A hand coming to rest on a nearby trunk of a massive tree, she gently sat down on it's base. Years of being used to the rough ground than the silk sheets of a palace, it was hardly a matter of hardship for her. Even now, she slept on a rough mattress, without any kind of comfort. She still could not eat anything other than fruits or simple food with barely any spices. Years of habit won't go away in a day or even a year. 

She rested her cheek on her folded arms, eyes hazed. She sighed softly, a distressed and reluctant look crossing her youthful face.

She would have to inform Karna, for now her past had come knocking on the door. She had  no other option than allowing it to enter her safe haven. 

But she refused to be discarded like a useless thing again, as if, she had no value to anyone.

She won't yield!