057

James lay Celeste down on the hospital bed as Bruce hooked her up to monitors.

"Is she - is she ok?" He stuttered, looking to Bruce.

"It's not that quick James" Thor's hand landed on his shoulder "let's leave Bruce to do his job, we'll go get some fresh air."

"No, I need to - I need to be here." Tears blinked down his face.

"Just leave Buck, I'll be here." Steve looked to him from the other side of the hospital bed, he was angry, so angry with his best friend. James knew he didn't want him there, he nodded and turned to leave the room. He brushed past Thor, who tilted his head sympathetically at Steve before following James out into the lobby.

"I'm going up to my office." He mumbled "will you let me know she's ok?"

"I'm not leaving you alone James, Steve will calm down. Lets go get a stiff drink, Bruce will call us when he's ran some tests."

"I want to be alone." James grumbled as he pressed the elevator button.

"Tough." Thor answered back as they stepped into the elevator.

James pushed open his office door, he walked straight over to his drinks cabinet, wrapping his hand around the bottle of scotch and picking up two glasses. Thor closed the door softly behind him, his eyes watching James as he poured himself a large glass, gulping it down before pouring another for himself and Thor. He handed it over to him as they sat down on the leather couch.

"I know you're here to support me but, can we please not talk?" He asked him.

Thor nodded, taking a sip from his drink.

After a little while James stood up, pacing the room again. Thor's eyes flicked up from his phone as he watched him.

"Where is he?" James asked.

"Who?"

"Bruce. You said he'd be here to tell us, do you think there's something wrong?"

"I um - I don't know. How about we go down?"

"Do you think I should?"

"What because of Steve? James - "

"He hates me."

"Come on, let's go down."

Thor knocked on Bruce's door, James shuffled behind him nervously until Bruce pulled the door open.

"Oh hey, everything ok?" He asked Thor puzzled.

"You said you'd come and get us, to tell us about Celeste." He made his way into Bruce's office, Bruce looked to James and gave him a soft smile.

"Is she ok?" He asked him.

"Steve said he'd come to tell you or I would have myself. She's ok, a broken nose, a lot of cuts and bruises - "

"What did they use on her?" James interrupted him.

"A sedative, a very strong one. It's currently being flushed out her system, she's going to be in a lot of pain when she wakes up but she'll be ok"

James' breath got caught in his throat as he let out a sigh, relief washing over him.

"Thank you Bruce." He smiled.

"But you need to get Steve to come see me, he's got broken ribs and refusing a check up."

James nodded "I'll try. Can I go see her?"

"She's asleep and will be for a while but sure." Bruce gave him the go ahead. James turned quickly on his heel and headed down the corridor to the room, he looked in the window as he passed. Steve was asleep in the chair, his hand gripping his side. He creaked open the door, closing it quietly behind him. The click woke Steve up abruptly, he winced in pain as his eyes focused on James.