12

A week later | Detroit.

"I miss you." Jai said, on FaceTime with Yulani as she laid in her bed.

"I miss you too baby. Ima come over as soon as Yasir leaves okay?" She fixed her AirPod in her ear, and he nodded.

"You know I don't give a fuck about yo brother right? I'm not scared of him Yulani we don't gotta sneak around ma." He told her, and she met his eyes through the camera.

"I got you. You know that. It's me and you, I don't give a fuck who don't like it or what they think bout us." He said, and she smiled, her face heating up.

"I love you so much." She mumbled, and he chuckled, licking over his lips.

"I love you more baby. I got us. I got you." He kissed the top of his phone screen, and her smile widened as she did the same.

"I know Amir. Ima be over soon." She waved, and he blew a kiss, before ending the call.

She sat her phone down, putting her AirPods back in the case.

She knew he was right. She was tired of sneaking around too. Not being able to go on real dates in fear that someone would tell Yasir on her. She was tired of him lowkey controlling her life.

But the other part of her just didn't want him to feel disrespected. Yasir was the head male figure in her life, and she didn't want to go against him.

She sighed, standing up from her bed and walking out of her room. She walked downstairs, knocking on Yasir's door and taking a deep breath.

"Come in." He called, and she opened the door, closing it once she walked in.

"Wassup baby? You good?" He frowned at the sad look on her face as she sat next to him on his bed.

"I wanna talk to you about something. But I don't want you to get mad at me." She rubbed her arm in nervousness, and he rose an eyebrow.

Lately, he was trying to have more of an open mind when it came to his little sister. He didn't want to control her, but at other times he felt like he needed to protect her. From what-he didn't really know.

"Wassup Yulani?" He tilted her head up to look at him, and she wiped her eyes before a tear could fall.

"I have a boyfriend." She told him, and his jaw clenched, meeting her eyes as he removed his hand from her face. He relaxed his face, nodding his head.

"It's okay?" She asked, and he nodded, rubbing his beard.

"Yeah baby. You damn near grown. It's cool, I gotta chill out on you. It's good, I'm not mad." He told her, and she slowly nodded.

"He's from midtown." She told him, and his eyebrows immediately furrowed.

"I know not the same nigga ass I beat?" He frowned at her, and she sighed.

"Yasir he's a good person." She frowned as he stood up, running his hand down his face.

"You didn't even try to get to know him before fighting him. He's good to me, and been good to me for three months. He loves me Yasir." She mumbled, and he shook his head, his jaw clenching.

"I need to see him Yulani." He spoke lowly, and she looked up, her frown disappearing.

"Really? You'll meet him?" She asked, and he sat back down next to her, rubbing his wrist.

"Yeah. I need to know who taking care of you. If you love him, can't shit-not even me-stop y'all now." He told her, and she wrapped her arms tight around him in a hug, making him chuckle as he rubbed her back.