-Chapter One- A Place to Call Home

19th Century

1831 AD

In a manor on the peak of a hill, resides the noble family of the Evermore's. To be born into a luxurious lifestyle could only guarantee wealth and power. Unless. Just unless you happen to be a malnourished, scrawny boy by the name of Noctis Evermore.

'Quickly, grab him by the arms' yelped an overly fed boy. The two other children tightened their grip around his thin arms.

'No stop...please!' cried Noctis, but it was helpless.

'Let's take turns punching him.'

In such a colourful world of magic, it felt as grey as an empty canvas to Noctis.

The Evermores were renowned for their prestige and gifted wizards throughout generations. In the year of 1824, Noctis Evermore often labelled as the 'nevermore' by his siblings, was born. A distinct trait among the royal family is the silky blonde and deep blue eyes however Noctis had inherited neither. He was a meek boy with neatly swept black hair and boring grey eyes. He stuck out like a sore thumb next to his 5 other siblings and would often be excluded from family photographs. 'Are they even his family?' he often wondered as he drifted off to sleep.

Noctis is no stranger to torment and harassment. In fact, he acted as nothing more than a walking joke for his siblings. Talentless and tactless. His eldest brother, Walter, would often commit the deeds with his wand. Those who had yet to get a wand would either watch or contribute with their dirty hands. Walter's favourite was the dangling jinx, levicorpus. He takes excessive pride in being able to hold Noctis in the dangling jinx for 3 hours straight. The result of which would lead to an overdone sunburn by the evening. Noctis never knew exactly why his siblings hated him or why they did the horrible things they did. He was merely just born into this world to be worthless.

Despite his burning grudge against his siblings, he loathed no one more than his own father. Through his father's eyes, his lineage must include the most perfect and exceptional wizards of the generation. All was proceeding well until his youngest son was born. His father was a very powerful wizard but was nothing more than a prisoner to oracles and prophecies which resulted in an orderly lifestyle. During work, he was seen as a stern and respectable wizard, known for catching countless rogue wizards, but he was truly nothing more than an orb addict. According to a local prophet, each of his children was destined to have success brought to them but Noctis fell short of this prediction. As a result of his hopelessness, his father turned a blind eye and disowned him from birth. To him, if a child does not represent the absolute royalty and competence of a talented wizard, they are not "worthy of an Evermore."

Dinners were a tragedy rather than a meal. Celestina, his second eldest sister, loved the thrill of teasing Noctis during meals. She would often pour salt "accidentally" on his head or if he was lucky, she would only kick his feet beneath the table. Unlike Walter, she was by far more sinister and malicious. Walter seemed to have intentions of revenge or acts in accordance with his feelings but she didn't need a motive. Celestina however took inspiration from Walter at a young age and has found enjoyment in harassment. Nobody represented the devil more than Celestina herself. Occasionally his father would glance at the ordeal but chose to ignore it. In this household, there was truly no salvation and if there was, they could only comfort but not help.

In two days, an insignificant and irrelevant day would be occurring, Noctis's birthday. He did not expect anything nor any recognition of the day he was born but was surprised to find his youngest sister, Delphine, asking him what present he wanted. Delphine was a mere two years older, and he felt that it may be the reason she can relate to him the most. Among the children, she held the most resemblance to their mother, caring and wholehearted. Just like the other children, she had pale blonde hair neatly cut to shoulder length and distinct crystal blue eyes.