Chapter 2 (Edited)

Magsimula sa umpisa

“Yeah, you’re right, let’s go,” I replied. I turned my back to Michael and his followers and walked away from what most surely would have been a fight if Liz hadn’t intervened. Liz caught up and was looking discretely or her version of it but I still noticed. Her green eyes seemed greener with the light green t-shirt she was wearing. She had one of her hands in a pocket on her light grey mini skirt. I gave her a questioning look. She smiled slightly figuring I had seen what she was doing.

“What were you thinking? You could have gotten into more trouble than you already are in,” she began. Were you really going to get into a fight with Michael over the things he said? You were acting like a typical boy in the Academy,” said Liz in response to my look. I gave her an amused look. I didn’t quite get where all her anger was coming from. She held my gaze for a while before sighing and shaking her head. “Whatever, let’s just get to the Infirmary.”

We walked outside. I squinted unable to see anything for a moment before my eyes adjusted to the brightness outside. It was eventually decided that we would take the path through the park near the Academy instead of taking the streets to the Infirmary, so that I wouldn’t bump into my parents and have to talk to them.

We made our way out of the Academy grounds and passed another level of security. The Academy had gates and walls of its own so that if the main gates and walls around the whole community were breached, the Academy would be a safe haven for a while to recuperate and retaliate. We had been walking for a few minutes and had just passed the water fountain near the one residential parts of the hunter land when I heard my name being called. I groaned as I turned around to see my parents heading towards me.

“Can we speak to Damien alone?” My parents said to Liz once they had gotten close enough. My mother looked the same as she normally did. Not a strand of golden hair out of place, nor a single piece of clothing not how it’s supposed to be. Her pale pink dress complimented everything about her as her clothes always did. She wouldn’t leave the house if her clothes didn’t make her look flawless. It was just a matter of pride. My father’s dark almost black hair was cut so short it always looked the same regardless of the circumstance. His long black coat moved in the light wind.

“Oh, of course, yeah I will, um, just wait by the water fountain,” sputtered Liz. She turned around looking apologetic. She went back over to the fountain and sat on the edge staring at the streams of water emerging from the spouts of the fountain. I stood mutely and waited for my parents to say something first.

“Do you have any idea what you have done? The attention you have brought on the family?” My mother inquired. I shook my head knowing she wanted some kind of response but she didn’t want to be interrupted. “We can’t believe you would let something like that happen.” I was sure the situation wasn’t as bad as what they were portraying it to be. My family always exaggerated things when it came to the famous family legacy because it meant so much to them. They were so fearful of what others would think of one of the oldest slayer families in our history.

“To make sure this never happens again you will be training and throwing yourself into the task of becoming a better slayer,” My father continued from where my mother left off. “We need you to regain your spot as one of the top hunters.” Regain my spot? I wasn’t even aware I had lost it. One mistake wouldn’t make my spot in the academy change very much. I swallowed my pride and nodded before gesturing to Liz who was looking quite bored and staring at the sky aimlessly. My parents’ eyes narrowed but they replied with, “You may go and see Jeremy but remember our words. You will do better in the academy… or else. Do not disappoint us.”

With that ominous threat they headed in the opposite direction, back the way they came as abruptly as they had appeared. I stare at their receding figures for a bit, then turn around and went over to Liz. She stood up immediately as soon as she saw me coming looking very relieved. I laughed at her and she just shook her head and rolled her eyes before taking off towards the park path. The walk was quiet since there wasn’t much conversation once I caught up to Liz. She was caught up in her own thoughts and I was caught up in mine, although once in a while I found her sneaking looks at me when she though I wasn’t looking, I didn’t know what that meant so I didn’t acknowledge it.