𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐓𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐓𝐰𝐨 | 𝐅𝐢𝐧𝐚𝐥

Start from the beginning

He deserved to know.

Just as much as you deserved to let go.

"I listened to everything they said, stood silently in the background, watching it all unfold before me," your whole body tensed, the memory triggering a visceral reaction.

"And god, Jungkook, the things they said behind her back. They were so relentless, so cruel, and..." You started, but your voice broke, tears running readily down your face.

"Hey," Jungkook's face softened, along with his voice as he held your chin, tipping it upwards. "You can stop here. No need to go so much into detail."

You closed your eyes and took a deep breath, then looked back at him as a fresh wave of sadness struck you.

It was going to be okay, he said with his gaze.

That was what gave you the courage to voice the words that had been haunting you ever since that night, too consumed by your guilt to ever give in to the mourning.

But now, looking into the eyes of the man who helped you find your reason to live, you realized it was time to leave it all behind.

And with that, you uttered, "I let it happen."

Jungkook stared at you horrified. His mouth fell slightly agape and his eyes widened.

Immediately, fear overcame you for what was to come next.

Why did his face look like it was falling apart? Why were his lips quivering? Why did his eyes look like that? So disturbed and uneasy?

For a brief moment, you were frightened by your words, realizing that what you were saying was completely and utterly unacceptable.

His opinion held more importance to you than anyone else's, and you'd do anything not to change his current perspective of you, despite how false of an illustration that may portray.

But everything stilled in you once you'd noticed the way his eyes were suddenly wiped clean of fear or scrutiny, purged of uncertainty.

Instead, they held the pure honesty of a man with nothing to hide, and your heart lurched in your chest when he answered, "Oh Y/N," his voice came out gentle as he proceeded to say. "Y/N, I'm so sorry baby."

There was no disgust in his tone.

No judgemental stare hidden behind his genuine eyes. All you saw at that very moment, was him, bare and unguarded.

You realized then that what you'd needed this whole time was something to help with the painful ache you felt in your chest, rather than help you forget about it.

The ache that caused you so much stress.

You needed help and for some inexplicable reason, you were in need of it from him.

The one person you hoped would understand the most.

Before you could stop yourself, you pitched forward and wrapped your arms around him.

His body stiffened from the contact for a brief second before you felt him quickly relax against you, wrapping a tentative arm around you in return.

You pulled him closer and choked back a sob, your eyes shutting tight to resist the tears.

You then buried your face into his shoulder as your hands desperately grasped at his back.

His jacket was smooth and docile beneath your fingertips. His dress shirt smelled of the cologne he sprayed himself with in the morning, the crook of his neck like sweat and hard work and him.