Chapter Twenty-Two

Hibaaq swiped the tiny droplets of sweat from the sides of her nose as she fanned herself with a piece of folded paper. The lecture room was stuffy and hot, all Hibaaq could think of was escaping the oven like enclosure. Her day had been completely ruined by a combination of her haughty grandmother and a very pompous Sarah. Now, she sat impatient in her seat, anxious for the unavoidable word with her professor as the rest of the students piled out of the room. Hibaaq longed to run into the the herd sooner a snap of a hefty booklet stole her wishful eyes away from the door.

She gulped uncomfortably as she stood from her chair, swinging her bag across her shoulder. Hibaaq took quick strides to the front of the dark oak desk.Ms Ulosow reached for her water bottle, simultaneously shaking her head in letdown. The gesture caused a dull ache to rattle the walls of her skull.

"This is not like you, Hibaaq." The middle aged professor sighed and as her head moved her voluminous afro swayed with. Hibaaq admired the coils and their movements for a moment. The tone of voice sounded hopeful, hopeful enough for her to ease her tense shoulders just a little bit.

"Your work is excellent, but you are not showing up enough." She noted. Hibaaq inhaled sharply as reality dawned on her. Ms Ulosow was not obliged to lecture her students on their attendance, her job was to teach. Hibaaq understood this was way below her pay grade, and yet she worried and cared for those she taught. She wouldn't have asked for a more kind and tolerant professor.

"I'm sorry, I was occupied with organising the annual welfare event and sort of lost pace of things, it won't happen again." She divulged, regrettably.

"Well if there's anything you need help with - - Hibaaq, you know where to find me," The first time that hour, Ms Ulosow revealed her gap tooth smile, which Hibaaq happily returned.

"Thank you." She replied before walking out. She quietly tittered in the secluded corridor, thinking about how she overcomplicated the talk, where she even considered a hand written speech to memorise and convey. The curse of being a brooder, taking great lengths just to avoid a situation even when it wasn't that grave.

Hibaaq wasted no time passing the same posters and avoiding the same hypercritical looks from the same people before she found her way outside, breathing fresh air into her suffocated lungs. She momentarily wondered about the day when she would finally graduate from this place and actually put her given knowledge and strength to use for as long as Allah willed. She could almost grasp that day with her fingers, it was so close, just a little way to go. "I'm nearly there." She said lowly to herself, emboldening the courage in her heart.

...

Upon entering her expansive home, the eerie silence was the first thing that piked Hibaaq's ears. As always, she listened for sounds or any indication if there was anyone in the house besides her grandmother, though there seemed to be no one besides them. Hibaaq went to go check on her Ayeeyo, anyway, ascending the stairs, holding onto the cold banister sooner she fell backwards from weariness.

"Ayeeyo." She called from outside her bedroom door.  Hibaaq knocked once then twice then a third time, and each time there was no irritated grunt, or a shout, or a vexed order to come inside. Worry began to plant itself in the pit of her stomach as she slowly pushed open the door. Ayeeyo Warsam was sleeping, she supposed, though nothing could've prepared her for the sight before her wide eyes.

Her grandmother was cold on the floor, her head laid beside her own wet spew that grew crusty on the borders. Hibaaq couldn't figure out just how long she lay unconscious, but it must've been a long while for her vomit to have almost dried.

"Ayeeyo!" Her shriek pervaded the space in the room and resounded a few more times in her ears before the eerie silence returned. Hibaaq fell on her knees next to her grandmother, shaking her shoulders gently, not wanting to seep the panic she felt into her actions. Her grandmother was still slightly warm, Hibaaq grasped the small victory and hurried back down the stairs to call for emergency.