Chapter 7

When Ailith woke the next morning, she found that she had gotten a text from Aaron.

Blinking at sunlight pouring through her window, she squinted at her phone screen, the brightness straining her eyes.

'Good morning, m'lady. I shall be waiting at your door at 11 so we can grab breakfast and then hang out'

Ailith laughed at his attempted formality before replying, her thumbs flying over her tiny keyboard.

'Sounds good, dear sir. I shall be seeing you in an hour and a half'

As she threw off the covers from atop her, someone barged into her room.

"And where were you yesterday?" demanded her step-mother.

"In Narnia," Ailith snapped back, as she got off her king-sized bed, glaring at her step-mother.

Maria Everstone had dyed blonde hair, cold grey eyes, and a beautiful face and body, thanks to expensive plastic surgery. She was the type of woman to throw herself at every man, resulting in the nickname Ailith had given her; Step-Hoe.

However Step-Hoe's face didn't look anywhere near beautiful in the sneer it was twisted in.

"Don't give me that attitude," she hissed, her merciless eyes narrowing into slits.

"I'll give you whatever attitude I want," Ailith countered defiantly, before turning her back to her and beginning to make her bed.

While she hastily folded her blanket and put it at the foot of her bed, Ailith heard the clip-clop of high heels leave the room.

Smiling to herself as she finished plumping her pillows, Ailith leaned over her bed and opened up a windows, letting a light breeze in.

She walked to her wardrobe to grab a pair of jeans and her favourite tank top and light jacket, before turning to the bathroom and taking a quick shower.

***

Ailith was scrolling through Tumblr in the living room on her laptop before she heard a knock on the door.

"I'll get it!" she yelled, slamming it shut and jumping over the couch.

As she ran toward the door, she heard it open and almost ran into her step-mother, before screeching to a stop.

Ailith glared at Step-Hoe as she smiled seductively at a startled Aaron.

"And who are you?" Step-Hoe purred, leaning against the doorframe, batting her eyelashes.

"Aaron," he replied uncomfortably, shifting his weight and looking at his shoes.

"My friend," Ailith said through clenched teeth from behind the two.

Aaron looked immensely relieved and Step-Hoe immediately straightened up and backed away, a look of disgust on her face.

"Thank you," said Ailith, elbowing past her.

"And have some respect," scoffed Ailith glaring at her, "you're a forty-year-old married woman."

Before she grabbed Aaron's wrist and dragged him away.

When the front door behind them slammed shut, Ailith burst out laughing.

"Who was that?" asked Aaron, shuddering.

"Step-Hoe," answered Ailith. "Uh- my step-mother." she corrected.

"No-brainer where she got the name from," muttered Aaron.

Ailith laughed. "Yeah, my dad married her a few years back. And whenever he goes on his eternity business trips, she's your basic slut. A new guy every other night. Regulars include Sam the Postie."