Part II: General Quarters!

"General quarters! General quarters! All hands man your battle stations!"

The alarm rang throughout the ship, prompting everyone to their assigned posts. At the same time, hatches and doors were closed as per protocol.

The combat suite entered battle stations as everyone got to their posts.

Radar Operator 1: "Surface contacts bearing 318 relative! Anti-surface warfare!"
Radar Operator 2: "Contacts set to hostile permission to engage."
Artillery Officer 1: "Main battery weapons, standby!"
Artillery Officer 2: "Rangefinding in progress."
Missile Officer 1: "Missile battery, open fire in anti-surface warfare!"
Missile Operator 1: "10-4. Releasing battery."

Missile cells containing Tomahawk missiles opened up. Exhaust ports also opened as the missile engines fired.

[0:30]

The rear and amidship missile batteries fired Tomahawk anti-ship missiles at the aggressing ships, forming a formidable cloud of missiles.

Artillery Officer 2: "Range found: nearest ship 28,000 meters and closing, furthest ship 30,000 meters and closing, fire at will!"
Artillery Operator 1: "Affirmative!"

The main battery turned and elevated. At the same time, the main Artillery Operators flipped through their range finder charts for the elevation angle.

Artillery Officer 1: "A turret, ranging salvo!"

BOOOOM!

Three 16-inch shells screamed out of the barrels, and the three guns returned to loading angle. Bright white tracers indicated armor-piercing shells, and they landed just in front of the enemy ships.

Artillery Officer 1: "Rangefinder updating."
Artillery Officer 2: "Fire at will!"

[3:13]

BOOOOM! BOOOOM BOOOOM!

The front turrets were the first to fire the opening salvo, firing armor-piercing shells. The guns then lowered down to loading angle, in which the autoloading mechanisms worked to reload the guns.

Down inside the deep workings of the barbettes, a blast door opens and an armor-piercing round was pushed out and onto a hoist. The blast door and the hoist screen door close and the hoist takes the round upwards. A second hoist had six bags of charges being brought up at the same time.

The elevator doors open to let the trays enter the gun turret. A total of six trays were operating in near-sync. The gun breech unlocks, swings upwards to open, and locks into position to load. As it opened, bore evacuators pumped compressed air in to remove the trace gases from the previous salvo; smoke poured out of the muzzle and muzzle brake of the gun.

The loading tray unfolds and connects to the open breech of the 16-inch guns. A rammer then extends and pushes the charge bags, in which the shell was then pushed with the bags, across the loading tray, and into the gun breech. The rammer slows momentarily, stops, and quickly retracts back into its ready position. The loading tray folds back and the shell/charge hoists returned down into the barbette as the breech door lock releases, allowing the door to swing down, close, and lock.