CHAPTER 8

I parked bou hurriedly because of Lewis. I was praying he did not notice my absence. Alvin sped into the parking lot and parked opposite bou. When I got down, Lewis was already waiting for us or me.

"I'm sorry, Lewis. I had issues with police officers on my way. That was what caused the delay." I explained without letting him speak.

"Miss Erica, why did you bother to come? The time is 9:10AM, you ought to have reported at school more than an hour ago and here you are claiming you had some issues with the police officers!"

"I truly had issues with some police officers, Alvin can testify to it." I said pointing to Alvin who was by my side. My purpose for doing this is not to really ask him to be my witness but to draw Lewis' attention to Alvin. I wanted Lewis to realise that I'm not the only one who came late because it seems like he did not notice that. Lewis looked at Alvin. Alvin looked at me and shrugged.

"What?! Tell him Alvin!" I replied furiously.

"I know nothing about what you are saying Miss." He replied with a smirk.

"We both know that is not true!" I said more furious and he shrugged again.

"Well I don't know!" Lewis said angrily. "Just go and don't repeat this act of nonchalance again." I nodded. I was almost going when I remembered something.

"Wait! You did not scold him!" We arrived the same time!" I said to Lewis angrily while pointing a finger at Alvin who was still smirking.

"That is not your business! To your office, Miss Erica!" He commanded but I am hesitant. "Now!!" He added loudly.

"It's my business of course! I and my colleague arrived at school the same time and only I get scolded! What exactly is going on here, Principal Lewis?!!"

"He is also going to get scolded! To your office now!"

"Ooh, so he is going to get scolded? Fine, I want to watch it!" I replied stubbornly.

"Is that the right way to speak to your superior?" He asked with a disappointed look.

"I'm really sorry, Lewis but look at him! Does his expression look like someone to be scolded?" I asked gently while glaring at Alvin. He is standing with arms akimbo and a infuriating smirk on his handsome face.

"Does my posture and facial expression disturb you?" He said with a very low voice. How I wish his voice is not so enchanting then maybe I would be able to refute it.

"Alvin, correct your posture!" Lewis said making a poor attempt at scolding. Alvin stopped folding his hands, this time he placed them in his suit's pocket which is a more annoying posture. The smirk still remained. I keep on glaring at him while he keeps on smirking. The school bell is heard from the bell tower.

"You have a class to teach now." Lewis said. I checked the time and realised he is correct. I wonder how he memorises the schedule of every teacher. Some teachers even don't know their schedule.

"I'm sorry Lewis." I said sincerely and left. Before I turned, I gave Alvin a last hard glare while he waved annoyingly with his right hand. I turned away, both angry and frustrated.

                               ¶¶¶¶¶

I am at the cafeteria on the same table with Adrian. May went home because she got a call from the nursery her daughter attends that she is running temperature and she refuses to eat her cereal.

I sights those ladies entering the cafeteria and I wave my hand at them signaling them to join I and Adrian on our table. They accept the invite joyfully and come to join I and Adrian.

"Hey there!" They said at once.

"Hi!" I and Adrian said almost the same time.

"What's up with you inviting us to join you?" The lady from the Literary and Arts staffroom whom I guess her name is Yvonne asked giving me a suspicious stare.

"With her looking at me suspiciously, it's gonna be difficult to ask my questions!" I said to myself in my mind.

"Nothing much, the table was too silent for my liking so I wanted to liven it up a bit." I said with an extremely fake enthusiasm and the other ladies smiled except for that same lady. I wonder what subject she is teaching. She is just too grumpy!

"Do you mean to say that your table was too silent so you needed nonstop radio a.k.a talkative people like us to clear the atmosphere for you?" Yvonne asked with an irritated look on her face. Gosh, why is she misunderstanding every word I say.

"That is not what I mean..." I was saying but was cut short by one of the ladies.

"Chill Yvonne. She means good." One of them said and the lady relaxed then she started to eat.

I don't think I would be able to ask the questions I want to ask right now so I just kept quiet and ate my food in silence thinking of when would be a better time. The ladies kept on talking about the gala that the school plans to hold which I had almost forgotten about.

                                ¶¶¶¶

It's been days now since the occurrence with the police officers and I have been doing a great work at avoiding Alvin. We( all the teachers at American International School of Kingston) are having a meeting at the big hall located at the Northern Wing of the school. It was rare to have meetings like this because most times we have our meeting based on our grouping of staffroom.

"Great teachers of AISK!!"Lewis who was standing at the podium screamed and I covered my ears with my palms but I still heard it. I wonder why people do it, it does not work as I can still hear him. I sighed and removed my palms from my ears.

"Yeeees!!" We all replied apart from few who just watched including me.

"Thanks for all attending this meeting. I called you all because of the Gala party that we would be hosting in a month time for our students. This is the first Gala we are hosting in about 4 years now. Most people have even forgotten that we used to hold a Gala party every year. Since it's been a long time we have hosted a Gala party last, I want this year own to be unique. Even if we don't hold for the next 10 years, I want this Gala party to never be forgotten. So we you all join hands with me and let us make the upcoming Gala party a memorable one."

"Yeeeess!!!!!!" echoed throughout the hall and I sighed again.

"That's commendable!" Lewis said after the shouts of 'yes' has died down leaving behind a silent hall.

"I, the Principal, the Vice Principal of Academics, the Vice Principal of Administration, my officers from the board and a few selected teachers joined our heads together and we arrived at a way to make the Gala party bright and memorable. After a lot of deliberations, we have made a very long list. We have given tasks to all teachers to help the students make the Gala party a memorable one. So some teachers would be in charge of singing, orchestra and so one. You can check what tasks you have been assigned to coordinate at the information room. Rehearsals are starting next week so I hope before then you have looked for volunteers who are willing to join the group and I also hope you have a plan on what to do. Please remember that you may not be skilled in whatever you are assigned to do but please give it your best!" Lewis concluded his speech and everyone clapped except a few which includes me again.

I don't know why I do not feel so enthusiastic about the party. Almost all the teachers marched towards the information room except a few who went to their various staffroom including me again. I decided to check it later.

                          ¶¶¶¶¶
              °°CLARISSA'S POV°°