CHAPTER 4

"You are looking extremely happy today. What's up?" Erica asks Clarissa as she makes two bowl of rice cripsies. It is a Saturday and Erica and Clarissa plan on spending the weekend in. Erica is wearing a black tank top with a patterned boxers shorts. She pours heated liquid milk from the jug into the bowls of rice cripsies.

"Mummy, I want to tell you a top secret." Clarissa whispers as she looks around as if checking for spies and this surely got Erica curious.

"What?" She whispered.

"Move closer, I can't say it at loud. Let me say it in your ears." And Erica moved closer.

"YOU ARE TOO CURIOUS!!!!!!!" Clarissa yelled into Erica's right ear and she breaks out in bouts of laughter as Erica holds her right ear.

"I think you've just tampered with my eardrums. I can't hear anything!" Erica panicked as she slapped her right ear continuously. This alarmed Clarissa who moved over to Erica immediately.

"MUM! Can you hear me?!" Clarissa yelled but Erica does not look up.

She continues to slap her ear mumbling "everywhere is so quiet, I can't hear anything". Clarissa who was already in tears climbed on the dining chair to meet Erica's height.

"I'm talking to you mum, can you even hear me? Mum please answer me. I promise to not do that again."

"What are you mouthing?" Erica asks

"I'm not mouthing mum, I'm speaking to you. I'm sorry mum."

"JUST JOKING! I CAN HEAR YOU PERFECTLY BABY!!!!" Erica yelled in Clarissa's ear and she starts to laugh.

"Wow!Payback is sure nice and sweet!" Erica says excitedly.

"Mum! I was really scared back then, why would you do that?!"

"Because you did that too and believe me payback is really nice." Erica said still laughing.

"I was really in a good mood but you've ruined it all!" Clarissa said grumpily as she settles down.

"I knew it, you were in an extremely great mood. What's up?" Erica asked. "Oh My Gosh! You are blushing." Erica added

"If I don't speak up you would continue to tease me right?"Clarissa asked though not expecting an answer because she knew the answer.

"You got it, lad. So spill" Erica scoops a spoonful of the rice cripsies into her mouth. She immediately dabs at the milk sliding down her mouth with the back of her hand.

"Well, I guess I like a boy in my class." She said while blushing.

"That is normal. You like Jack, don't you? You like the puppy of the neighbor down the street, you like rice cripsies, you like colour pink, don't you?" Erica tries to act oblivious.

"Well, I know you know that is not what I mean. I have a crush on him, mum." She said as she looks away.

"Wow! That was a shocker! Tell me about him."

"He is 8 years old like me though he is in Grade 3. His name is Kelvin! He is a bit taller than me. He is nice, friendly and caring! He loves animals too. He speaks with me a lot about his family and himself. I like eating lunch on the same table with him and staying on the swing with just him. He stands up for me too and he is handsome. He has an elder sister who is in grade 8. She is friendly like him too and beautiful. She covers up for me when I attend lessons with the seniors." Clarissa said in one breath with so much enthusiasm.

"Wow! That is pretty good. Would you introduce me to him later? "

"Of course mom!" Clarissa said as she digs into her rice cripsies mixed with dried fruits.

They are too young for the word 'crush' but I can't tell her that. Because if I do, she would never speak about him to me again.

                             ¶¶¶¶¶

"Hello mum, can I drop Clarissa at your place now?"

"There is no problem with that. See you later!"

"You are the best mum!"

"I know, see ya!" Mrs. Gardner says as she hangs up.

Erica drops her phone on the dressing table and stares at herself in the mirror. She is wearing a magenta v- neck gown with a low back. It is a knee-length straight tight fitting gown fitting Erica's curves and shape perfectly. It has a bow in the waist, making the gown more magnificent. It looks like the gown was made specifically for her. She puts on a nude closed-front stiletto heels with sparkling stones at the bottom of the heels. She spends her time curling her hair and oiled it sufficiently to give it a glossy look. Her makeup? Not over the top. Just a little work with eyeliner, eye shadow, eye pencil, mascara, foundation, powder and her favorite rouge lipstick over her rosy pink lips.