We Almost Have It All

Pain

Pain.

It's probably the first emotion I ever felt. Definitely the first emotion I could place with a memory. I could fill a textbook with the amount of pain my parents had shown me throughout my entire life. But heartbreak was a whole other style of it.

My heart ached. A piece of my soul felt like it was missing. My eyes were swollen, puffy from all the crying I've done the past week. Heartbreak was like someone dropping the fucking earth on your chest and expecting you to be okay. It's impossible to breathe. Like an addiction inching underneath my bones, alcohol called my name.

If it wasn't for Lana staying here, I might've fallen into another pit full of darkness. Instead, I'm stuck babysitting my heartbroken best friend because she refused to meet with her husband. It wasn't too bad. We had each other to cry with, munch on ice cream, and refrain from the sunlight.

However, duty called today. I had a twelve-hour shift at Shimmery Harmony, which I tried giving away, but no one is stupid enough to suffer through a long shift like that. Let's hope interaction with other humans could cure this ache for a few minutes.

"I'm going to work!" I shouted, grabbing my sweater from the coat rack.

Her footsteps boomed throughout the apartment. She must've worn my leather boots since that's the only thing that could explain her stomping.

"Wait, why?" Lana pouted, clutching onto the teddy bear she sewed of Declan. "I thought we were going to binge Harry Potter today and cry. I don't wanna be left alone, Ambroseeee..." she whined, pulling on my sleeve like a toddler.

Has she always been this annoying?

"I tried giving my shift away, but no one took it. So, unless you want me to get fired, I have to go." I tried weakening her hold from my arm, but she had muscles of steel when she wanted.

Lana's irises dilated into those dangerous puppy dog eyes. "Alright... Can I come to work with you, then? I won't bother you. I'll just watch you cook."

"It's a twelve-hour shift."

"What? You don't think I can sit still for twelve hours?"

I arched my brow down at her. "You can't even stay still for two minutes. It's like you have ants in your pants. Why else did you think I ditched the bed for the shitty couch?"

Lana shrugged. "Really? I thought you moved to the couch because you didn't want to share the bed unless it was with Davina. I wasn't offended. Sleeping with you isn't anywhere close to how it is with Declan. Dang, it! I miss him."

People might've thought Lana was oblivious to the things around her, but she wasn't. Lana hit the reason right on the spot. We spent the entire day yesterday watching flicks by midnight, Lana and I were having a crying session. While I wanted to be alone and admire photos I've saved of Davina, Lana needed full attention and hugged until she fell asleep in the bed. As time crawled on, tiredness sneaked up on me like a bug bite and I started dozing off.