That Night In Late October

Hot chocolate

Hot chocolate. The liquid burned my throat like fireflies swarming around the night sky. Marshmallows melted into little blobs, bringing back the memories of squeezing the ooky-goo in my fingertips. My sister loved overflowing her hot chocolate with whipped cream and cinnamon. Sometimes she would throw globs at me.

When she used to be happy...

"Sorry if it has too much chocolate. I got heavy-handed with the chocolate chips," Ambrose stated, pulling a seat over next to me on my balcony.

The balcony grew from the walls of the room as generous arms from a host, or perhaps those of a mother, to cradle her infant child. The metal had a patina of ocean greens and blues, or maybe it was more the hues of a mossy forest floor in softened early light, yet either way it was soothing.

Especially after the night I had tonight...

The flavor made my mouth salivate, wanting more of it. "Don't be. Chocolate is my best friend."

Unconsciously, even with the heated drink in my hand, my teeth chattered from the harsh winds. From the looks of it, a storm was on the horizon from how severe the gusts tugged at my hair. Ambrose must've caught wind because he placed his beverage on the patio table and draped his jacket over my shoulders.

"I could just go get a blanket. You don't have to freeze yourself to impress me." Yet, I gripped at the jacket, inhaling the old spice scent coming off from it.

Ambrose lightly chuckled, returning to his chair. "Is it a crime to be nice to you?"

My eyes narrowed. "It is. For you."

Ambrose's golden specks shined with amusement as he sipped on his drink, taking in the atmosphere around us. Stars were like pixie dust dropping from Tinkerbell's wings as she swarmed through the sky. It brought peace. Something I desperately desired after my encounter with Colton tonight.

He's staring up at the sky, waiting for me to say anything. My eyes followed the line of his jaw, the curve of his cheeks, the outline of his lips. His eyebrows were drawn together in contemplation. I don't understand why he changed his tune, but I didn't want to spend the next twenty-four hours rethinking it.

"Do you want to talk about tonight?" Ambrose asked, his gaze piercing into mine with concern.

My mouth was composed into a straight line. "Not really. But as my therapist would say, talking about it would make it easier to digest."

Ambrose angled his body in my direction, his knees grazing mine. "D-don't feel obliged, too. I just want you to know I'm here for you. For anything." His hand rested on my knee, his touch ignited like fire on my skin.

Sour features washed over my face. "How dare you? After what you said at the beach... You said it yourself, remember? That there was no way that you and I would work out... Even as friends. You would rather be playing Xbox right now instead of talking to me."