Green Monster Has Returned

Content

Content. Bliss. Euphoria.

In simple terms, those words were all synonyms of one word; Happiness. In my life, there we two things that brought unconditional happiness, Lana and school. Medical school brought out a different kind of passion. I've been lacking my whole life, and it was all because of Lana. In every way possible, she conveyed the pure sun, shining the darkest, ugliest parts of myself.

I liked to believe she's helping me turn into a better person.

But I'm still human and I made mistakes.

"Declan, we're going out to eat after class. Do you want to join or are you busy with your wife?" My classmate Zachary, sporting a comb-over with a fade, asked.

"I'll pass," I responded.

Another colleague laughed. "I knew it! His wife probably has a whole night planned for him."

A blonde-haired, spiked-up classmate chimed in. "Gosh, I envy you having such a cute wife and family already. The dating scene isn't friendly to us geeks."

Zachary sighed. "That's too bad. I wanted to have a drink with you and discuss molecular cell biology." We strolled through the courtyard, traveling to the other building in our field for our next session of classes. "Speaking of cellular biology..."

My attention diverted from the conversation to a pair traveling through the courtyard. Every fiber of my being surged with rage as they roamed around laughing, smiling, together. Lana might as well have yanked my heart out and stomped all over it. His arms were draped over her petite shoulders as if it was his way of claiming her.

Because I wasn't there to do anything about it.

Because he wouldn't mess with me after our fight at the party.

What was so great about him? Lana mentioned him frequently which my only logical response was to storm out of the room. It's disrespectful, and I regretted it every single time, but I abhorred having to listen to Lana praising him. Who the hell made him king? Who the hell gave him the right to make moves on my wife?

"You know what, I'm free tonight," I stated, cutting Zachary off on his tangents that could go on for an hour.