"Yes? How is he doing?" Eliza asked, genuinely interested in her grandson's well-being. Joe, on the other hand, had barely grunted as an acknowledgement to Celia's presence.

"He's improving. The doctors said that he isn't out of the woods yet, but Joseph knows that he's getting better and acting more like himself with each day," Celia informed them, watching as a smile formed on her mother's face. Her father stayed stoic. "He said that you haven't written to him in a while," she stated then, her voice soft because it could have been a trigger for her father.

"But I did. Joe, did you not send that letter to the post?" her mom responded, sadness and shock in her features as she looked over at her husband.

"I was unaware that that was my responsibility. You know that you also have the ability to go out and deliver letters to the post," Joe's voice was gruff and he refused to take responsibility for this, much like he always did.

Celia watched as her mother pursed her lips, thinking about what she said before she spoke. "Wouldn't it be nice to go back and see them?" she said then, trying to switch the topic slightly.

"Think realistically now, Eliza. How would we <ever> be able to get a boat back America?" Joe spoke up before Celia could agree with her. He was getting more aggravated by the second, "you're always in this dreamland where you think we've got all the money in the world when we don't. We're stuck here in Small Heath with rats running through our cupboards! But you're too busy stuck in your fantasies to keep the place clean and keep the rats out," he immediately started accusing her. Celia watched her mother's lip start to tremble as she tried to not let her façade break.

"I try my best to keep them out, I really do!" Eliza spoke, her statement coming out like a cry, before she continued, "and if it weren't for your gambling stints, we'd have the money necessary to go see our son. To go see our sickly grandson!" she didn't hold back in accusing him. Everyone in the room knew it was true. Some of the people in the room, well one of them really, refused it to be true and took his anger out on the women in the household.

"Do not sit there and accuse me when you know you are spending just as much as I am!" his voice was now raised, and he was standing. Celia knew that things would only escalate from there and that she needed to get out.

"That's a lie, Joe! That is a lie and even you know it!" Eliza did not shy away from him. Celia stood and managed to move out of the room without them noticing. They were too engrossed in screaming two inches away from each other to care.

She snuck out of the house and started down the street to the one house she knew was open for her. After knocking twice, she breathed a sigh of relief when Vivian opened the door. "Hi, love!" she greeted, a frown forming when she noticed the sadness in Celia's features. "They're fighting again?" she asked and Celia nodded. That was all that needed to be exchanged before the door was opened further and Celia was allowed in. "We're just getting dinner finished. Care to join?"

"Oh I don't want to impose," Celia shook her head. "I can just sit in the living room while you eat."

"Don't be silly. I'll just tell William to pick extra vegetables," she stated, moving to the door so that she could speak to her brother, who must've been in the side garden. "He's perfectly fine with you joining us," Vivian said as she entered the kitchen once more, "was pretty happy when I told him you were here," she grinned, making Celia blush.

"Thank you, Viv. It means so much to me to have your house to come to when things get like this," Celia smiled at friend then.

"Our door's always open for you CeCe. You know that. My brother and I both enjoy your company," she reminded her. William and Vivian had been living together in the house that was once owned by their parents for two years now. Both their mother and father had fallen ill and sadly passed from their ailments. Celia only smiled in response as William joined them in the kitchen, running his hand along Celia's shoulder before he stood in front of the counters, making work of chopping the vegetables he brought in. Vivian also got back to cooking so Celia jumped in and asked if she could help. Soon enough they were working on dinner while laughing and telling stories of how their day had been.

To Be Alone | Tommy ShelbyOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara