chapter seventeen

"what you doing? looking for someone to shag?"

louis turns to zayn who laughs at his own comment, then back to the front door. he clenches harder on to the can in his hands, then nods.

"you're back to that?" zayn asks, "what about harry?"

"i'm over that." louis mutters, "i don't give a shit about him."

"louis, that's—"

"mean? yeah no shit, zayn."

"what's going on?" zayn questions, and louis clenches his teeth down, looking away.

"i just always said i would do it, you know? get full revenge by making him suffer but all he's done has made me weak. i hate it."

"love is a weakness."

"piss off, who said i was in love?"

"you act it."

"love ain't real... plus i hate him, you know? we're talking about the guy that left me to die 'cause he's scared of a bit of water."

"you're scared of a bit of water."

louis scoffs. "i have a reason to be... and i don't fucking invite his reason over for wine and cheese."

"what?" zayn squints his eyes, confused.

"i dunno. i'm drunk and still pissed off because he made me go to his house knowing liam would show up."

"oh, for wine and cheese?" zayn laughs.

"just to sort things out." louis squints his eyes now too, "i just thought that's what friends do you know, have wine and cheese together?"

"louis have you and anyone else ever had wine and cheese together?" zayn asks, amused.

"no, it's what my mum's friends do though. plus you're my only friend, so how would i know?"

zayn is about to speak but is interrupted by a loud, light-hearted protest. "hey, am i not your mate?" niall grins widely with his teeth, then wraps am arm around louis' shoulder, who turns to him smiling.

"of course, niall. want to go for some wine and cheese?"

"oh that sounds wonderful darling, and some champagne?" niall jokes in an awful posh accent that's slurred by the alcohol. it makes zayn laugh to himself, trying to hide his big grin by looking down.

"by the look of this house there should be some in the cupboard." louis jokes, "who the fuck owns this place?"

"this person katie knows. they went to a load of people's secondary schools, they're loaded apparently."

"i heard my name." katie shows up at niall's side, grabbing his arm. he smiles at her, then presses his lips to hers in a kiss. she blushes when they pull away.

"finally came to your senses, then?" zayn asks, and niall nods, grinning like an idiot.

"what were you guys talking about?" katie asks.

"you know the person that owns this house?" louis questions, "it's massive."

"yeah, there were always rumours that their parents were like big, crazy drug lords or something. i dunno, we were kids and found it funny because all our houses were shit and then there this person was, with a massive house and a fucking pool. they're probably just doctors or something." katie takes a sip of her drink through a straw, and niall is still watching her, smiling so wide because of her rambling.

"they better be drug lords." louis says, "i need something in me."

"that was forward." niall comments, which makes katie and zayn laugh. louis' eyes widen before he hits him on the stomach.