chapter two

"louis? what the fuck?"

there's banging at the front door. it's zayn, louis knows it's zayn. he can hear his voice from the window.

"louis open this fucking door." to the naked eye, zayn seems angry. he is, but not for the reasons people will think. zayn gets a little worried about louis from time to time. if he doesn't know what's he's up to, he doesn't know he's safe.

louis rolls off the bed, knowing he can't avoid human life forever. shame, really.

"for fucks sake i'm coming!" louis groans, knowing zayn probably can't hear him anyway. he pulls on a pair of jogging bottoms because he is only in his boxers, and rubs his eyes, stumbling out the room and starting to trudge down the stairs.

when he opens the front door, light blinds him again. that happens too often and he has to squint to see zayn stood on the porch. he can't see much, but he can definitely tell zayn is pissed.

"hey..." louis smiles widely, "zaynnn... zaynieboo... my-best-friend-in-the-entire-world-that-totally-isn't-mad-at-me-right-now?" louis smile widens, as if it would help. zayn's expression doesn't change in the slightest.

"talk."

"about what? i mean, there's so many topics to talk about... like... broccoli, or aliens? what about orgies? or gingers? i bet you'd love to talk about about ging—"

"lets start with the reason you've been ignoring me for the past week." zayn crosses his arms. louis guesses his strategy didn't work.

"what do you mean?" louis plays it off, leaning on the doorframe.

"just shut the fuck up and let me inside." zayn drops his anger with louis now, knowing he'll give in. louis nods, clicking his tongue and moving out the way to let zayn through.

"oh, hiya love." johannah, (louis' mother) walks through to the hallway. she's in her work clothes, handbag in hand as she stuffs some belongings into it.

"hey jay." zayn replies, yet doesn't sound very enthusiastic.

"what's wrong?" johannah asks, her face dropping a little.

"do you know where louis has been this week? i've knocked on the front door in the mornings but you never answered."

jay looks oblivious. "oh, sorry love, had the morning shifts. was he not at school?"

"i'm right here you k—"

"no he wasn't." zayn interrupts louis, who just stands there feeling useless. he could be on mars at this point, and it wouldn't make a difference.

"oh." jay shrugs.

"don't you think it's a little bad that your own son hasn't been going to school? i mean he stays indoors doing god knows what all day and you don't even care?"

louis holds his hands up. "zayn, can we not do this right now?... please?" he would beg. this conversation never has a result. he doesn't need zayn to defend him; especially from his own mother.

"well i'm sorry dear but he can do whatever he wants. it's not my responsibility he isn't going to school, he's his own person."

louis understands fully, and yet it still hits him in the chest a little. to a certain extent, she has never been more right. but all he wants is for her to care about him. because louis thinks his mother couldn't care less if he went out all night popping millions of pills or ending up in a different country.