chapter eight

"tommoooo!" niall is laughing hysterically, leaning on his chair and watching louis roll up a five pond note. he holds his left finger to his nostril, before snorting the white powder up the other and looking up to zayn with dilated pupils and a wide grin.

it smells like chemicals (petrol, maybe) and louis can feel it trail down his throat as he snorts it. he takes two more lines of the drug that's laid out on a random wooden table and a few more shots in between, before letting the people around him know he's off to the loo. when he gets up he practically stumbles, his head buzzing yet his steps messy.

when he gets through the big huddle of people in the living room (it was a challenge but he made it in the end), he falters down the hall and swings the bathroom door open, lifting his head.

"shit, sorry—" he mutters automatically when he sees a person inside, before his face turns cold at the realisation of who is stood washing their hands.

"weren't watching me were you, louis?"

"don't be such an idiot, liam." louis groans. it feels as if he has the worst luck at the moment.

"wouldn't put it past you." liam laughs, but louis isn't finding it funny in the slightest.

"you know, just because you saw me kissing a guy once, doesn't make me some gay creep that spies on boys through the bathroom door."

"someone must be drunk." liam flicks the water off his hands before rubbing them on his jeans. "finally coming to terms with your sexuality? wow louis, you've come such a long way from then." the taller boy sarcastically laughs and steps forward, taking a hand to louis' shoulder.

but he shrugs it off quickly, stepping back. "fuck off liam. why do you feel the need to bring that shit up? it's been two years, just get over it."

"oh i'm over it," liam smiles, "you don't seem to be, though."

"what do you mean by that?" louis' head is still in overload and it's hard to accumulate thoughts and say words properly.

"i heard you haven't been in a pool since."

"i nearly fucking drowned liam, what the fuck do you think?"

liam bites on his lip, clearing his throat with a short cough. louis hopes he cleared whatever the bullshit he's about to say next, but he wouldn't count on it.

"it wasn't my fault, you know."

louis scoffs. "you told them."

"i didn't know they were going to do that... i wasn't even there louis, i swear!"

"if you didn't tell them for that reason then why else, huh?" louis' whole body is shaking and he can't tell if it's from the drugs, or the way his body is filled with an overload of emotions. "was it for new gossip with your new friends?"

"lou—"

"and don't even start on you not being there, because that's the problem liam. you weren't there for me when i was getting fucking attacked!"

liam's mouth closes and he stands there, stumped. he tries to say something but it just comes out as stutters and he eventually purses his lips once again, his eyes filling with tears. louis just gives him a pity laugh, shaking his head with a disgusted look. 

"louis? what's going on?" katie is next to his side, but as soon as she looks up, her eyes are met with liam's and her face suddenly turns cold, just like louis' did.

"fuck off payne, you're not wanted here."

"no, no." louis shakes his head, "it's fine, i'll just go upstairs." he turns on his feet, and steps away from the room, and away from (a still frozen) liam.