𝟙𝟟

December 2005

It was awkward between the two of us but it started lessening with every visit. At first Kazutora wouldn't even look at me at all. Then it turned into small glances. Afterwards, it turned into looking into my eyes whenever I spoke. He slowly started putting down the walls he had built.

"I couldnʹt get you much but I did get you this."

I slid a Christmas snow globe to him which had a Christmas tree in the middle, decorated with colorful balls. Underneath it were presents and a tiny tiger figure. He was hesitant to accept it but did it anyway.

"You really didnʹt have to..."

He scratched the back of his head. I knew he felt as if he wasnʹt deserving of any presents. At first, I was hesitant too, whether I should buy him something or not. But, in a short span of time, he was making a lot of progress in his rehabilitation, so I thought this would be a good idea.

"Thank you."

There was warmth in his voice. His eyes were gentle with a sudden softness I have never encountered before. He appreciated this, even though he felt like he wasnʹt much of a good person to receive it.

"Merry Christmas, Kazutora."

✄----------------------------------------------------«

April 2006

It was finally one of those days when I would visit Kazutora. I visited him once every two weeks, sometimes even once a week, it depended on how much time I had. Now, I've entered high school, which meant we probably wouldn't see each other as much, but I decided to still make some time for that. We were actually getting closer in a way, like friends.

"So, how's high school so far?"

This was the first time I've heard him talk so enthusiastically.

"Not bad since Akira and I are in the same class."

I leaned on the chair.

"Do you even have any friends besides Akira?"

He had a smirk across his face.

"You're not the one to talk."

I rolled my eyes and he chuckled.

"What about you, do you guys have some sort of education around here?"

I looked around.

"Yeah, we also get a bunch of books to read on a daily basis."

Kazutora went on to complain about him being pressured to study for about 10 minutes. We didn't even notice so much time went by until the guards told me it's time to leave.

✄----------------------------------------------------«

January 2007

I haven't seen Kazutora for two months and I couldn't believe someone could change that much in a short span of time. He had longer hair and looked a bit more mature. Before that his hair was just above his shoulders but now it was even longer.

"It suits you well."

I said as soon as I took a seat across from him.

"What?"

Chuckle escaped my lips when I saw how confused he was.

"Longer hair."

My finger was pointed to his hair.