Chapter 9

Darrell's phone rings continuously as he hugs Veronica.

"Maybe you should get that." 

Darrell releases his embrace before silencing his phone, returning his attention back to Veronica.

"I want to do something with you that my grandmother did that helped me a lot."

"What's that?"

Darrell grabs both of her hands.  "Close your eyes."

"For what? "

"Just do it."

She closes her eyes.

"Dear God..."

Veronica quickly opens her eyes in shock.  She watches him as he prays with his eyes closed.

"...I don't know if it's right for me to ask you for anything, since I don't really talk to you. But I know how this worked for me when G-Ma used to pray for me when I was always in trouble.  So here I am doing the same thing for this beautiful woman I can't get enough of. I hope that's all right with you."

Veronica smiles before closing her eyes again.

"Heal her heart and show me how I can assist with that. Also... show me how I can learn everything about her, so I can love on her. I want the best for her and I want her to trust that I have her best interest. I understand that she's been through a lot of pain, and because I don't know what else to do for her, I figured the best thing to do is to come to you.  Her craziness is testing my patience, but I also know I am crazy about her. So God help us both.  She deserves love and I want to give her that.  So yeah...Amen."

Darrell slowly opens his eyes to Veronica staring at him. "So you didn't keep your eyes closed while I was praying for you?"

"I did close them, but then I kept opening them, because you're full of surprises.  The only people who have prayed for me are my mom, my cousins' abuela, and Yemi.  Never a man.  Oh, and I don't appreciate you calling me crazy," she says, laughing.

"Was I lying though?"

"If I'm crazy, then you're crazier for wanting to be with me."

"I'll take that," he replies with a smirk.

Darrell feels his phone vibrate.  He glances at it before putting it back in his pocket.

"By any chance, is that call about the cops that put Mike in the hospital?  Are you gonna handle that?  Or is that asking too much, since we haven't built that trust, yet?"

Darrell stares at her for a moment before responding.  "I trust you enough to tell you that I am going to take care of it."

She nods.

"I'm going to go.  But after I'm done with handling some business, I'm gonna come back to you.  I know you have your cousin and your friend visiting, so whenever you want to finish this conversation let me know."

"I don't mind finishing this conversation tonight.  I can come to you when you're done?"

"That sounds good."

"Okay."

"I'll text you my address, when I'm on my way home."

Veronica nods before turning to walk away.

"Veronica..."

She turns back around.

"Happy Birthday."

"Yes! It is my birthday," Veronica exclaims in her Prince Akeem voice.

Darrell chuckles.  "Crazy ass."