Chapter 3

Veronica is at her mother's grave when she receives a FaceTime call from Sam. She ignores it and slides the phone back into her pocket.

Her phone rings again, and this time Yemi's name pops up. She sighs before accepting the video call. A second later, Sam appears on the screen. "So you're only answering Yemi's calls, now?"

"I knew it was you, Sam."

"Then why didn't you pick up when I called from my phone?"

"Because I was going to call you back after I left from here. I assumed it was an emergency when you called from Yemi's."

"Where are you?"

"My mom's grave."

"Oh."

"What's up? Did you need something?"

"Just call me back after you leave from there."

"I'm already on the phone. What's up?"

"I just got off the phone with Stephen and he told me y'all are beefin'."

"Okay..." she responds, curling her top lip.

"Don't get an attitude with me, V. I'm just checking on you."

"I'm fine."

"Stop fuckin' lying- Oh shit. My bad auntie," he says, looking at the corner of the screen as if he can see Dawn's grave.

Veronica smirks, turning the camera to the flat headstone to give Sam a better view.

"Was her picture always there?"

"No. I had it put on a few years ago, when I started making money from the nail shop."

"It looks nice."

"Thanks." She turns the camera back to her.

"How often do you visit her?"

"Every day, now."

He nods, trying to find his next words. "...V. I apologize for everything. I really had no idea they forced you to come stay with me."

"I know you didn't know. I did think that you eventually found out. But when you made that comment about me staying in Cali after finding out why you and Jasmine broke up... I realized you still were thinking that I volunteered to be there."

"Why didn't you tell me you wanted to go back home?"

"Because I was trying to help you."

"You were 16, V. You should've been focusing on other shit. Like boyfriends and dances and shit."

She nods in agreement.

"I'm surprised you didn't at least tell Nate how you felt. Y'all were close as shit back then."

"I did tell him."

"Are you serious? Why the fuck didn't he tell me then?"

"'Cause I told him not to. I didn't want you to feel like shit for having a teen coming to look after you."

"Well, I feel like shit, now. Did Stephen know, too?"

"No. Well... I never told him anything. Not sure if Nathan did. But don't worry about it, Sam. What's done is done. I'm just glad you and I were able to build the bond that we have."

"That shit doesn't matter when you sacrificed going to visit your mom every day and leaving whatever life you had out there just for me. Was it more my mother's doing or my pops?"