After a few minutes alone, his phone rang with Hei-won's name on the screen. He still doesn't know what alibi the guy told the others this time around, but this morning, the incessant calls and texts from the members and Manager Chen miraculously stopped. Might as well thank him now.

"Hei," he accepted the call.

"Kio, it's me." Unexpectedly, a feminine voice sounded from the other line, and who else can use his friend's phone but his girlfriend.

"Aera? Did something happen to Hei-won?"

"No, no... don't worry. He's still asleep and I took this chance to call you using his phone. I need to ask you something very important."

The obvious nervousness in her voice caused a frown on his face, "what is it?"

"Did he visit you too?"

It took him only a few seconds to figure out who she was talking about. "Yes. I guess, he showed up in front of you, too. What did he say? Was it a warning?"

"Yes. He told me something might happen if you don't break the connection soon, or go back to your world."

"I know, that's the reason why I immediately went to see Li. I need to check how she's doing myself."

"Not just Lilac, Kio. Something might also happen to Hei."

His grip on the steering wheel tightened as his eyes narrowed, "what do you mean?"

"He didn't say it clearly but... but why did Elius have to come to me, too? Why did he warn me, too? I thought we won't be affected of your situation anymore. I mean, I've destroyed my hourglass years ago! But I think the presence of one hourglass in one universe, can affect anyone who travelled. And because Hei-won died back in my original world—he-he might—"

She wasn't able to control her emotions anymore, and in no time, Aera's sobs resounded from the other line. Her breakdown triggered his too, the surge of anger causing him to hit the stirring wheel repeatedly. This is so fucked up!

"Please Kio, I'm begging you... please decide sooner. I can't let Hei-won die again. H-he's my whole world," Aera cried out.

"Don't worry, I'll be back tonight. The moment I arrived in my apartment, I'll destroy that thing."

"You've decided? You're staying, then?"

"Like you, my whole world is here, too." Right at that moment, Lilac stepped out of the convenience store hugging a paper bag. She's covered with a bucket hat and mask, her trench coat reaching past her knees with a regular-sized bomber jacket on top, making her look tiny.

"Thank you. Now I don't have to worry." Aera then bid goodbye, the call ending right before his girlfriend got back inside the SUV.

"Someone called?" She tried pulling the seatbelt so she could buckle up, but because of the bag on her lap, she can't move freely.

Kio smiled and reached for the bag, before pulling the belt across her torso himself. Of course, he didn't pass up the chance to leave a kiss on her lips, made easy by their close proximity.

"Just Hei-won and Aera checking up on us."

She smilingly nodded, "they're perfect for each other, don't you think? I hope they won't break up ever... or get separated."

"They won't," he simply said even though his mind whispered; I'll make sure of that.

They arrived in the almost-empty beach, at quarter to 9AM. The cold wind instantly welcomed them, so he quickly stuffed heat packs inside his girlfriend's jacket pockets. If only she didn't look so melancholic this morning, he would've tried suggesting another place. But he knew something might have happened—either she's homesick or she suddenly felt sad. He's already used to her sudden moodswings ever since.

They walked by the coast in silence, only the sounds of the waves, some seagulls overhead and the laughter of some kids playing in a distance, can be heard. Lilac reached for his left hand, and put it in her right pocket so they could share the heat coming from the pack inside.

"I often find myself listening to one of your songs lately," she finally opened a topic after a few minutes of strolling.

"Which one?"

"I heard one of our trainees listening to it once and I liked it, so I searched for it myself," she added, pertaining to the contestants of the idol survival show she's currently mentoring in. "One of your ballads, The Tale of Smeraldo."

His steps faltered as his heart skipped a beat. He then pushed himself to quickly recover and act casually. Now that he was reminded of that particular song, he remembered he also heard it recently in Hongdae, right before he came to China. Was that some sort of a sign? An omen?

"I was so curious about the lyrics. I just found myself searching for the song's meaning, too. And I wasn't mistaken, it's quite deep with a beautiful story."

"It's beautiful, but it's sad. A tragedy," he lamented.

"A tragic ending doesn't make a story less beautiful. What's meant to happen, happens."

He abruptly stopped, and because Lilac wasn't able to do so right away, their connected arms stretched gradually. She also halted once she noticed the pull in her hand which stayed grasped by his. He watched as she whirled around to face him, and eyes look straight into each other's eyes.

Right there and then, he realized how similar their story is to "La Città di Smeraldo," which is the exact translation and the original story where their song, The Tale of Smeraldo, was based. The same song Lilac sang for him for the last time. The same song recorded in that hourglass he's planning to destroy.

He represents the ugly man who initially planned to only help the girl in secret. The one who was supposed to stay in the shadows, but ended up still wanting her, still needing to be near her.

The difference between their story and the classic tale? Kio didn't let himself live in regret and took the chance. He made her his. He rewrote the story. Now he wonders, what if the tale was written like his instead? Will there be consequences too, like the one he's experiencing now? Will the girl still die and leave the ugly man in sorrow in the end, or will she be saved? Do the man hve to make difficult choices as well?

Those thoughts didn't leave him until his flight home. Good thing Lilac didn't notice anything wrong with him, or maybe she did, but they chose not to talk about it in the meantime and enjoy their time together.

They spent their remaining hours together in her suite, enjoying each other's presence and talking about nothing but positive things. Because of his conversation with her at the beach, he became more adamant to get home and finally hold that hourglass. He can't keep this up anymore. He needs peace of mind or he'll completely go insane.

But as he stepped inside his unit, sounds of the television reached his ears, and he found an unexpected visitor seated on his couch.

"Finally!" her brother exclaimed, standing up and walking towards him.

Kio froze. He never realized how much he missed his family until this very moment, and he felt such a useless and selfish son and brother.

"Hyung!" Like an overly excited kid, he barreled towards his only biological brother as the twenty-seven year old man laughed.

"Sorry, I had to finish some important work so I can't visit you as soon as I heard the news. But you weren't here anyway," Kihyun shrugged.

Ki-Ryeong stepped back with an apologetic smile, "when did you arrive? How's Mom and Dad?"

The smile on his brother's face slowly faded, replaced with a frown, then back to a playful smile. The changes in his expression are quite comical, making him chuckle.

"You're joking again," Kihyun shook his head. "Well, they probably miss you. Remember to visit their graves some time. You've been too busy!"

Instead of laughing with the guy, there came a heavy pit in his stomach as it feels like the world just crumbled under his feet once again.