# 0 0 1 ⦋ Excuses ⦌

Start from the beginning

   Was I staring?

   My brain once again registered how physically attractive she was the more that I looked at her. Pretty eyes, pretty lips...what a bod...totally out of my league.

   With a cigarette held between her two fingers, she scratched her forehead and asked, "Do you happen to have a lighter?"

   Her accent was hard to place, and I wondered where she moved to Tokyo from.

   Ah, of course that was all she wanted. Why did I make a big deal out of it in my head...?

    ' Because you're delusional', Kaneki would say. Only to get back at me for calling him that on multiple occasions.

    "Sure, of course!" I grinned, patting my front pockets until I felt something similar to a lighter to pull out. "Are you enjoying the festival?"

    "Yeah, very much." She nodded enthusiastically. "It's very well put together."

   I began to brag while she wasted no time in lighting up her cigarette.

   There's no harm in a little self-promo.

    "Y'know, we, my university's festival committee were the ones—"

   Her ringtone interrupted me and she didn't hesitate to answer it. Bowing, she uttered a gentle "thank you" and hurried away.

   Oh, she has my lighter.

The concert was over around ten and when the zeroes lined up the twenty-four-hour clock, the stadium was nearly empty. There were a few couples that littered the area, and a few groups of friends still sitting down and conversing loudly. My own friends had offered a ride home right after the festival ended but I refused; I stayed back, knowing that the committee needed to in order to take care of wrapping up the venue.

   Clean up duty...

   Why didn't I ask her out when I had the chance?

   With my head hanging low, I walked towards the stage, looking at my feet. My green shoes were covered in grass and unknown objects stuck to them. I groaned at the sight; just thinking about the amount of time I had to spend cleaning these gave me a headache.

    "Excuse me," a voice said from behind me, followed by a tap on my shoulder.

   When I turned and saw no one, I began to walk again, and a sharp giggle came from my left.

    "Hey, I'm over here."

   I turned once more to see the girl that was on my mind; the girl from earlier. 

   Why's she still here?

    "Pardon, I didn't mean for that to happen." She stumbled slightly, probably drunk, but she still bowed in proper greeting.

   French?

    "It's fine," I beamed, feeling ecstatic, albeit a little embarrassed, as I returned the salutation. "Are you all right? Have you had too much?" I used my hand to gesture drinking.

   Steadying herself, she shook her head. "No, they didn't serve drinks at the venue. It's a natural high...or I'm tired. Pardon."

    "Don't worry about it! You're from earlier, right?" I cleared my throat and straightened my posture, not knowing what the expression on my face was. "I didn't get your name that time."