Long Flights

After much consideration, Wren decided it was time for Clover to meet her family. As her mums birthday was coming up, she wanted to spend it in Australia, rather than spend it FaceTiming her. After all she hasn't seen them in 6 months.

Wren booked the flights and they were set to leave on Wednesday. She was rather nervous to come back home, but she couldn't wait to see her sister. She recently found out that Vivi decided to go back to uni and get her masters in epidemiology.

Clover came out of the bedroom with her hair in a messy bun and one of Wrens oversized shirts on.

"Have you booked the flights yet?" She asked while grabbing a leftover macaroon from Wren's work.

"Yep, all booked, we leave on Wednesday and return on Tuesday, are you excited to meet my family?"

She turned to face Wren and proceed to steal her coffee. "I'm more nervous than anything, but I can't wait to see where you grew up!"

"Yea Burleigh is pretty good, we should go to Springbrook National Park, I think you'll like it, they have this really cool natural bridge waterfall there." She said while trying to steal her coffee back, ultimately failing.

"Yes! Please, you know how much I love waterfalls!" She said while immediately searching the national park on her phone.

They had 2 days to pack and with the 2 weeks they both took of work, the rest of the day consisted of packing and making sure they had everything for the flight.

• • •

As they boarded the plane, Clover started getting more anxious, she didn't mind flying it was just the fact that the plane could go down at any moment. Wren saw that she looked distressed and took Clover's hand in hers, rubbing her thumb over it as they walked.

Once they got seated and strapped in, Wren looked out the window and thought about her parents, she was excited to go back home but she didn't know how her parents would react to Clover, sure she told them about her but they've never met her in person and that scared the shit out of Wren, her parents tended to have absurd opinions of people.

As the plane started to take off, Clover started to fall asleep, her head resting on Wrens shoulder. The never ending feeling of butterflies and love filled her chest.

"Wake up we're here." Wren lightly nudged her, it felt good to be back she thought to herself.

Clover sat up and wiped her eyes, she couldn't believe she slept almost all the way here. They collected their carry ons and made their way off the plane to the collect the rest of their things.

As they walked away from the reclaim area, Wren spotted her parents anxiously waiting near the exit, a smile tugged on her lips and she intertwined her hand with Clover's. Over the shouting and waving of hands, Vivi ran towards her sister and enveloped her in a bone crushing hug, tears breaching her waterline and the faint "I missed you." into her shirt.

Clover was standing awkwardly beside Wren, wondering when Vivi would notice her. She almost forgot that she was in a whole different country for a second until she heard Wrens sister say something.

"Hi, I'm Vivi, you must be the girlfriend then. I've heard a lot about you." She said while Wren slapped her shoulder in embarrassment.

"Oh haha, I'm Clover. Its nice to meet you and I hope it was nothing bad." While nervously laughing at the end.

Vivi just winked and started walking back to her family, Wren and Clover sharing a look as to say 'what the fuck have you told her' then walking behind.

As Wren's mother caught sight of her, all hell broke loose. Among tight hugs and slight scolding, she was happy to see her daughter again. As her mum release her daughter from the death grip of a hug, her attention moved to Clover 

"You must be Clover, I'm Wren's mother, Thea and this is my husband, Vincent."

"Nice to meet you." She said while holding her hand out, but being caught off guard by getting pulled into a hug.

They put the luggage in the back of car and drive to Wren's parents house. Clover couldn't stop looking out the window at the beaches and coastal lifestyles. Wren slipped her hand into Clovers and brought it over to her lap, she wondered if Clover would take her to France to show her where she grew up. Vivi kept on making  obscene actions which caused her to get multiple middle fingers and slaps.

As the car neared the house, Ween felt a wave of nostalgia come over her. As they got everything out of the car, Clover took in the heat and occasionally bird songs. To her it almost felt like being back in Provence, minus some things.

The house is two stories cottage style and surrounded by various plants and trees. It's the same house that Wren grew up in and loved to visit when she was living in Brisbane finishing her pastry chef degree.

Wren and Clover walked up to Wrens old room which has been converted into a guest room/study. As Wren placed her bags on the end of the bed, Clover wrapped her in a hug, trailing kisses along her jawline.

"Babe, we can't do this now, my mum will
probably come up and ask us out to lunch or something." While trying to stifle a small
giggle and Clover began to throw her hands up and roll her eyes.

"I know, I know.  I still can't believe you grew up here, we should go exploring soon." 

"Definitely, I'll set a day aside so you can go be a little nature freak." Wren said while poking Clovers face, then placing a kiss on her shoulder.

And right on cue, Thea knocked on the door and asked if they'd like to go to lunch, both immediately nodded their heads and got on their way.

Lunch somehow ended up very awkward. Vivi would not stop talking about this hot person in her class, she said that they went for lunch at the local burger and Mars, said hot person wiped the mustard off her face and proceeded to lick it off their finger. This then progressed to Vivi asking a bunch of very personal questions to Clover and Wren had to swat her away multiple times.

After the three days of exploring the area and catching up with old friend, it was Wren's mothers birthday and currently everyone has been setting up the backyard for a surprise party. Clover looked over her shoulder and saw Wren tangled in a bunch of balloons, she had tried to put them up on the ceiling.

The party went smoothly and Wrens mum loved it, she hugged everyone and made a massive drunken speech at the end which was mostly aimed at her husband.

Clover and Wren snuck away and ended up sitting on some random chairs near an old fig tree, Ween smoking her cigarette and Clover finishing the dregs of her drink. They were both sharing sloppy kisses and holding each other like nothing could tear them apart.

• • •

As the day came for the girls to depart, Wren had this feeling of longing but relief at the same time. As they got up and walked to the gates, Vivi yelled at Wren to call her as soon as she gets back and she swore that she'd catch a plane and beat her up if she didn't.

Clover could see that Wren had mixed feelings about leaving. She loved how supportive and nice Wrens family was and wish hers could be more like that. She grabbed onto Wrens hand as they boarded the plane, they couldn't wait to go home and not worry about anyone walking in on them in a compromising position.

As they awaited for the safety instructions and lift off, Wren was wondering if she could ever see herself coming back to Australia permanently with Clover.