Chapter 17 Training

Tristan is the first to fall flat on his back. Panting Tristan stays on the ground regaining his breath. I survey the rest of the training that is happening around us. Ivy is a blue dart training Mason, and Serine to be quick thinking on their feet. Despite protest from both Ellos and Nytshadow, Dust and Creature said that they were well enough to be moving around now, and from what Ellos and Nytshadow could tell their wounds healed themselves over night. Lidth and Creature were working out how to avoid vines, fireballs, and sudden areas of blinding light casts from Ellos. Jay and Garth are blindfolded as they try to attack Nytshadow who would dance just within reach each time they got close. Daeruil is putting up a fight against Elven in a sword match learning to enhance his own footwork and developing other tactics besides the might of his sword. Dust says he had his own patrol of the Bog to do before he could join us.

I turn back to Tristan and hold out a hand to him, "Not a bad start, Tristan those guards in Quinn took our training to heart since we were last there it seems."

"You would be surprised at how much you guys influenced them," Tristan takes my hand.

I chuckle, "Glad we made an impression. Now, ready to try again?"

Tristan readies his blade, "I'm ready till I've manage to beat you."

"You have a long way to go to match me in combat, Tristan, but tell you what I'll face you with only one of my blades this time. I'm not as adapt at one handed fighting as I am two. I always manage to leave my left side open when I wield only one blade." I say lowering my stance to strike at Tristan in another match.

"Thanks for the tip, but I don't think I will need it," Tristan aims an attack at my opposite side thinking I tried to fool him.

I jump towards Tristan rolling under his attack and coming up behind him striking him in his legs. Tristan's legs buckle at the blow from my sword. Thanks to Ellos' magic all weapons, no matter how sharp your blade is, they are as dull as a wooden practice sword, but would still hurt just like a real wound. Tristan recovered faster this time then when I had pulled the same trick on him earlier. Tristan seeing an opportunity with my back turned to strike. Not turning to face Tristan I raise my blade and block the attack. Throwing Tristan's sword back long enough for me to dodge out of the way again. I get back onto my feet and face Tristan again. I managed to run into where Elven and Daeruil were training when I dodged.

Elven sees me cross into his line of sight as he blocks Daeruil's next attack. Elven throws Daeruil's swords back and jumps backwards till he is back to back with me.

"Seems you're giving up too much ground, Junni." Elven teases seeing Tristan coming out of the corner of his eye.

"Gives Tristan a chance to think ahead of an opponent who looks to retreat more than attack." I block Tristan's sword as it comes at me again, throwing Tristan back enough to make him stumble, "What about you, Elven? You seem to be going easy on Daeruil."

"I am not going easy on Daeruil," Elven protests as Daeruil comes at Elven again, easily deflecting the attack as Elven holds a conversation with me, "If I was going easy on him I would be using more limited movement to hold him back. He's pushed me back this far on his own."

"Thanks for the compliment, Elven, but your distraction left you wide open." Daeruil raises his swords to strike Elven's side.

Seeing the attack coming Elven blocks Daeruil's blades with ease and with a flick of his wrist sends Daeruil's swords flying crossing as they impale the ground. A look of shock crosses Daeruil's face.

Elven turns back to face Daeruil, "Never assume an enemy is distracted. Sometimes what looks like a distraction is just a way for the enemy to lure you in."