Ghosts of Winters Past

~~Daenerys Targaryen~~

Evelyn and I walk arm in arm through the halls of Winterfell, silence filling the halls aside from the crackling of lit torches casting light into darkness. It has been a long day. From arriving to Winterfell this morning, to speaking the the Lords and Ladies of the Northern Houses, to planning the defense of Winterfell and ultimately, the world itself.

To say I'm tired would be an understatement.

I can see that Evelyn is tired also. The way she holds herself is similar to how she has been since the war with Cersei began and ended. How she holds herself in times of conflicts to begin with.

She's exhausted but she will never let on to that in front of anyone else. To see my love suffering in silence eats away at my stomach like a sickness and it really hurts.

I've learned to live with it. Evelyn is my other half to my heart and will always be so. She and I both know what it is to suffer in pain and utter misery. But we will always carry on.

We finally round the last corner to the room we were assigned. The entire time, Evelyn looks around the halls in recognition, seemingly looking at everything from past experiences and memories.

The direwolf of House Stark is engraved into the thick wooden door but it is barely noticeable by the fact that it looks to be scratched out with a knife. Long deep slashes cross over the wolf's face.

I move to open the door but Evelyn remains standing still, her eyes unwavering from the door as I look at her in slight confusion.

"What is it?"

I ask as she continues in silence for a few moments.

"It's... It's my old room.."

She whispers softly as she reaches her hand out to the door. Evelyn opens up the door slowly, revealing the bed chamber inside. It doesn't look to have been touched in years other than the bed and the hearth have been used since then.

"Are you sure it's your room?"

"Of course I do. Mine was two halls past Jon and Arya's"

Evelyn says as she steps inside and I follow. Evelyn walks around to the table, hand grazing over it as she looks all around the room.

"How much has changed?"

"Where do I even begin with that?"

Evelyn chuckles a little but I sense no humor in her words. Her hands graze a shelf and a look of disappointment shows on her features.

"They must've taken all of my books.."

She whispers and I step to her, wrapping my hands around her waist whilst pressing my face to her back, squeezing softly in an attempt at comforting her.

"Did you have lots?"

I ask and she chuckles, nodding her head.

"My room was filled with everything a girl probably should not have. I had training swords, spears, shields and everything. Hell, I even had a set of armor too big for me on a stand in that corner."