Staines That Do Not Wash

~~Evelyn Dayne~~

I hate the smell of the Twins and the people of House Frey in general. They're nothing but greedy rats. They always bet on the winning jousters. I don't see why Robb and Lady Catelyn trust them.

"So your Uncle Edmure is to marry one of the Frey girls?"

"Yes."

"The one you were meant to marry?"

"Yes, again."

"You do realize this makes you an oathbreaker, right?"

Robb pauses briefly, looking at the ground before back to me.

"Love is the death of duty. I had to choose and I chose love."

I nod, placing my hand on his shoulder.

"I can't blame you, Brother. I just hope that woman of yours can instill some sense in that thick Stark skull you got someday."

Robb and I smile at one another warmly before he motions to the door behind us.

"It's right in there."

I face the door for a moment, glancing at Robb briefly before entering and shutting the door, locking it. The bathroom is only lit by candlelight. Nightfall has already come.

The candles flicker every now and then and I see the bath drawn in a tub in the center of the room.

Throughout our entire campaign, we barely had any water. And now I'm about to soak it in my filth.

I unstrap my muddied and bloodied armor, the chestplate clattering to the floor. I pull my chainmail off, letting it hit the floor without a care. Finally, I take off my torn and bloodied blouse, throwing it on the floor.

I unbuckle my sword belts, letting them hit the floor without a care. Next go my trousers and boots until I am left bare. Across the room there is a mirror, if you could even call it that. It's filthy and I can barely see my own reflection.

I look at myself, seeing the bruising all over my body. The untreated cuts, the blood and mud smeared across my body like paint on a canvas. Everything hurts.

I turn back around, stepping into the lukewarm water and slowly sitting down, my body screaming in relief.

The tension leaves my body as I lean back, letting myself close my eyes for what feels like the first time in weeks.

Barely even taking a breath of air, I lower my entire body, head included, underwater.

I open my eyes to find myself on the battlefield. The sound of men screaming and the sight of the being cut open like they were cattle sends chills through my body.

Blood spurs everywhere and on everything. Mankind created war. And war is absolute hell.

I run as fast as I can through the battlefield, dodging strikes narrowly and I scream in fear as I continue running.

I finally come to a stop, completely exhausted. The screams of horror and war disappear as the only thing I hear is the rapid thumping of my heartbeat.

For some reason, a clearing opens up on the battlefield. Two glowing men are fighting but no one seems to see they are their.

Both warriors fight and I can't decide who is the bad guy and who is not.

Suddenly, another glowing man comes and stabs the man through the back of the neck, making him drop to his knees. He drops a sword that I swear I recognize from somewhere. The other man picks up the fallen blade, raising it almost shamefully and swinging down, ending the man's suffering.

The wails of a baby cries in the distance and my ears begin to ring. The baby's screams turn to words slowly and everything goes a million miles a minute before they all halt.

"Wake up."

I burst through the top of the tub, gasping for breath as I greedily suck in the air. My heart pounds in my chest as I try to get a grip on what's real and what isn't.

"I'm hear at the Twins, home of House Frey, with Robb and the whole army. Everyone is okay... I'm okay..."

I whisper to myself, trying to convince myself that none of what I've been through is real. But I know it is. It's going to be a stain in my memory.

A stain that will never wash away.

"Sure I am..."

~~~~~
A/N

Hope you all enjoy! Pretty cool how Robb and her are reunited, right?

Hope you enjoy it!