Chapter 16: DRAKE

I stack my final papers and mark the final stack on the clipboard.

Now that I'm finally done with the paperwork, Ric and I can relax. However, not until after Saturday.

Saturday would be the Blood Donation all rich of the village would be donating their blood for the justice for the poor that is used to keep them safe.

I pull my glasses off and put them aside, twirling in my chair only to catch a glimpse of her body curled up in a ball, the cover entirely covering her body, except for the minimum view you have of her face.

Her ridiculous red hair stubborn as strands escaped the caught of the cover.

She looks peaceful.

She was very exhausted when she took a step into the room.

Understandable that she's tired. Tim is a sick bastard with all his games, so I don't know what he said or did to imprint a certain fear for his sadistic liking.

I sigh.

The damage has been done, so there isn't much I could do but hope there won't be any events occurring of pet chasing.

It, however, is my fault for foolishly trusting a man who can't keep his word.

He is a reckless prince, however, not near the stance of becoming a Lord if one of his older siblings died.

May it stay that way. Not only for the good of the Vampires but as well for the humans.

I stand up and walk into my walk-in closet, changing into more comfortable clothing for tonight.

I steal a rubber band from Rosey's obsessive collection and tie my hair into a pony, feeling satisfied that it's finally out of my face.

I've been considering a haircut, but the Blood Moon has been distracting me from doing so.

I'll cut my hair at once when I have time to do so.

I glance at the clock that hung above my bed and noted it was near midnight.

I rub the tiredness in my eye with my middle and index finger before yanking my covers aside and slipping beneath them, tucking at them when I've comfortably settled in.

Tomorrow I have to go to the lab to do some tests on a hybrid they caught a few days ago.

Even if we try and calculate their behavior, we are still as clueless as we were from the start.

The hybrids land attacks in different ways on different places, which we tried to see if there was a pattern but they are much smarter than that.

They aren't as impatient like they used to be, which was good for them but shitty for us.

We are still unsure whether they're ready to start attacks on the Castles around the neighborhood.

The attacks only randomly start in any village.

I groan, rubbing my eyes with the tips of my fingers.

I'll think about this tomorrow. It's useless to think about these things when I'm tired.

I close my eyes and exhale a hushed breath, finally relaxing into the sinking mattress.

×××

I settle the platter down on the coffee table, reaching out to grip the handle of the small teacup and bringing the brim to my lips to sip on the drink.

I close my eyes for a second when the warmth of the liquid trickles down my throat and refreshes me from the inside.

The blood may not be directly from the vein, but the savory taste still lingered.