fifty two | every mother's son

Start from the beginning

Not long after he said that and Esther had left to go and find their brother, Kol turned to Annabelle and quietly asked her, "Annabelle, how many times must I tell you not to hurt yourself like this?" When Annabelle didn't respond, he told her, "If you're not careful, you can get yourself to start bleeding."

After sighing to herself, Annabelle said as she slowly started to look down at the floor, "I'm sorry, Kol. I don't mean to do it. It's just an instinct for me to do. That's all."

Kol replied, "Instinct or not, you can't hurt yourself like this." When Annabelle only sighed in response, Kol quietly said to her, "I'm only doing this to look out for your well-being, Annabelle. That's it."

Annabelle said to him, "I know you are, but I'm not an infant, Kol. I don't need you to look after me."

With an eyebrow raised, Kol asked her, "Oh, is that so?" When she nodded in response, he said to her, "Then perhaps if you quit acting like an infant, I will stop treating you like one."

Just as Annabelle started to frown in response, Kol started to tickle her in her side, which resulted in her starting to laugh and doing everything she could to move far from her twin brother, while her other siblings that were seated at the table did nothing but smile to themselves when they saw just how happy Annabelle was at that exact moment.

* * *

After Klaus left the balcony and entered the bedroom once more, Hayley said to him, "It is times like this I'm really glad that I never knew my mother."

Klaus replied, "We have enough enemies here. And now the war for our home is to be fought against my own family."

Hayley told him, "Your wretched mother and her disciples tried to put a carving knife through our baby's heart. I will happily add to the body count."

Just as Klaus started to smirk in response, Elijah said as he also entered the room, "You'll do no such thing. Esther's a master in the art of possession." After glancing over at Annabelle, who started to enter the room with a smirk on her face and her eyes wide as ever, he said with a wave of his hand, "Put aside Annabelle's mastery in the art of torture, we know whose body Esther currently inhabits. We must decipher her intentions before she finds a new host."

Klaus replied, "Well, her last invitation was an assassination attempt on all her children. I think we can assume her intentions are decidedly foul."

Elijah said to him, "Well, then, we have this afternoon to prepare for the worst."

After scoffing to herself, Annabelle asked as Elijah started to leave the room, "Why prepare for the worst when we could just kill her?"

It was then that Elijah stepped back into sight before he told her, "Because she could very well be possessing yet another body before any of us would have a chance to do anything."

After Elijah made a point of quickly leaving the three of them alone once more, Annabelle said as she crossed her arms over her chest, "I still think that we should just kill her."

Then she quickly left the room as well and left Klaus and Hayley to be by themselves inside of the bedroom.

* * *

Hayley said to the three siblings, "Marcel's witch is being held captive in the Quarter."

Klaus replied, "Oh, perfect. Mother's a step ahead of us, as usual."

Hayley told them, "Oliver's with her. I'll go and I'll get her to do the spell, but I need the necklace."

Elijah started to say to her, "I don't like this—"