𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝒩𝒾𝓃𝑒𝓉𝑒𝑒𝓃: 𝒞𝒶𝓊𝓉𝒾𝑜𝓊𝓈 𝐻𝑒𝒶𝓇𝓉𝓈

Madeline made certain she had everything she needed since she'd been staying at Elijah's for the next few nights. Hair products to stop her from being a puff ball, two pairs of pajamas, three sweaters, three pairs of jeans, plenty of socks and underwear, toothbrush, toothpaste, her favorite shampoo and conditioner. She packed her laptop and all her schoolbooks in a separate bag. She packed her favorite lavender candle for when she needed calm when studying. If there was anything forgotten, Madeline could easily come back and grab it.

"So, you're already moving in with him, huh?" Eva teased from her open doorway.

Madeline shrugged as she zipped up all three of her bags. "He gets nightmares if I'm not there, and by the sounds of it, they get pretty bad," Madeline explained. "Elijah had to suffer through those for too many years. If he doesn't have to anymore, he shouldn't. And seeing as you guys can't help but sexually assault him, it's only fair that we switch off."

Eva laughed at the end. "At least he doesn't have to worry about Destiny," she pointed out. Which was fair. Elijah would become incredibly grateful for their one gay roommate. "Or are you the worried one?"

Madeline's gaze shot up to glare at her friend. "I'm not worried."

"Well, are you worried about sharing a bed with tall and sexy?" Eva came into the room, looking over at the few photos she had of her and Elijah framed on the wall. "That's a lot of sexual tension to deal with for someone who's never had sex. I guess I still can't quite tell if this is still a friendship thing, or if there's something more going on.

"If you had slept with him last night, and you know full well what I mean by that, you'd tell me, right? I was awake this morning when your dad went up to your room. He came back down, telling your mom about how Elijah was holding you in bed like he never wanted to let go, talking about moving in together after the school year's over and shit."

Madeline was sure her face was red from the inquisition, but still shook her head. "We didn't have sex, Eva. I doubt I'd ever be on his radar that way. He's known me since I was two-years-old, and he's my best friend, no offense."

Eva raised one eyebrow, then ran her fingers through her shoulder-length blonde hair. "None taken, but neither of you are looking at each other like besties, Maddie. I haven't seen much, but it only takes about ten seconds to figure that one out. Whatever you two feel, it's easily the most intense thing I've seen in my life. You can't stop looking at him, or wrapping your arms around him, and he can't stop touching you. And those sweet, innocent kisses he's giving you last way too long, and happen constantly.

"You can call it a friendship all you want, Maddie, but I know you well enough to know that you're falling hard for this guy. I may not know him, but I've read both those letters, and I know he has problems. He's admitted he pushes people away, and I know he claims that doesn't include you, but that was before. If you two fall for each other, and he pushes you away like everyone else..."

Eva licked her lips, then looked down. "I wasn't around for the first time he broke your heart, but I'm worried there's going to be a second time. That much intensity for someone who doesn't know how to stick around and has a habit of keeping people at a distance. I worry about this leading to the worst kind of hurt. And if you end up giving him your v-card, it's just going to hurt that much worse.

"I'm not going to tell you to be cautious with your heart, because I'm pretty sure it isn't possible with him, but I'm just letting you know that I'm here for you if the worst does happen. He might be your best friend, but you're mine. Good ending or bad one, I'm here. Hell, maybe I'm completely wrong. I hope I am. Maybe you'll give him your v-card, and you two will fall desperately in love and live happily ever after."

"Please stop talking," Madeline begged. She was certain there was more than just a blush on her cheeks at the very mention of her v-card. Hell, even her ears felt like they were moments away from steaming, they were so hot. But it was the comment of Elijah falling back into his old ways that caused Maddie to wince.

She remembered seeing his Facebook profile. All the pictures of the friends he'd made in his two years living in her city. Then the comment from last night, saying that he probably would have packed up all his belongings to be wherever she was. Elijah was ready to leave all those people in his life at a moment's notice.

Yes, it was for her, so Madeline knew she was important. If that hadn't made it clear, Eva was right. There were so many touches and long looks. Elijah always seemed to need her close by. But what if that was just the newness of her being back in his life? What if all this turned out to be so much more than he was ready for?

To quote Elijah, he always lived his life with one foot out the door. What would happen to her if she fell hopelessly in love with him, only to watch as the other foot stepped out and away from her? What if they both only thought she was the exception, but as it turned out, Elijah just did not know how to stay in someone's life anymore?