𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝒯𝓌𝑜: ℰ𝓈𝒸𝒶𝓅𝑒

Maddie knew what would happen once she heard the squeaking of her neighbor's truck as it parked just outside her bedroom window. It was dark now, which meant he'd been drinking. Things were quiet if he came home by six, and Madeline could sleep soundly, knowing Elijah would be safe from his dad. But it was her bedtime now, which meant that when Elijah came over to babysit her tomorrow, he'd have a freshly bruised face, or worse.

Her dad had called the police on his dad a few times this year, but it hadn't made a difference. Elijah would lie for his father or leave for the night before the police arrived. Her mom wanted to get involved- everyone in the neighborhood wanted to get involved- but she said that until Elijah admitted he needed help, there wasn't much they could do.

When the yelling began, Maddie got out of bed to close her bedroom window, just like she promised Elijah she would do. He wanted to keep her safe from all that, or so he said. Maddy didn't want to be safe if he wasn't.

Elijah was nine years older than her, but he was her best friend in the entire world. Her only friend. And Maddie was his only friend, too. He never had friends over and never went out to parties. The only time he left the house after school was to babysit her, or to get away from his dad.

Even with her window closed, Maddie could hear his dad yelling. Sometimes Elijah would yell back, which meant the next time she saw him, he'd have bruises everywhere. Other times she'd see his dad with bruises of his own, which meant Elijah fought back. Then there were the times when Elijah parked in her parent's garage before his dad got home and slept on their couch. It didn't happen often, but at least Maddie knew he was safe that night. That's all she wanted for her best and only friend.

*************

The light filled her room, but when Maddie opened her eyes, she saw it was still dark out.

"Hey, honey?" Her mom's voice didn't bring her comfort like it usually did, and it wasn't her disappointed tone either.

Maddie only heard that tone of voice once, when their dog died six months before. Shaky, tired, and while trying to appear strong.

"What is it, mommy?"

She stayed in the doorway, the light in the hall on as well. "Elijah's downstairs. He wants to talk to you."

"Is he spending the night?"

Usually, when Elijah spent the night, he came over before dark.

"No, honey, he isn't staying over."

Maddie looked at the clock next to her and saw it was one in the morning. "Is he here to celebrate his eighteenth birthday? We haven't made his cake yet!"

Tears fell down against her mom's cheeks. "Come downstairs, honey."

Maddie nodded and threw her blanket off her body, following her mom out of the room and down the stairs.

Waiting at the bottom of the staircase was Elijah; a fresh bruise on his face, a split lip, and dried blood on his chin. When he saw her, he put a smile on his face. But it wasn't real. Maddie knew every single smile Elijah had, and this was the one he gave her when he didn't want her to worry.

Elijah knelt down to her level, tears in his green eyes he wouldn't let fall. "Hey, Maddie. I'm sorry I woke you up."

"What's wrong?" She knew something was. He was trying to act strong for her, but she knew it was a lie. Not that he wasn't strong, but right now, he looked like he was going to break down. Or puke.

"Nothing, Maddie. Nothing's wrong. I just wanted to see you before I left."

Left.

Elijah never went on trips like they did as a family.

"When are you coming back?"

Then his tears fell. Elijah sucked in a long, shaky breath and wiped the tears from his face. "I'm-" he looked up at her mom, closed his eyes for ten second, then looked at her once again. "I'm not coming back, M&M. It's my eighteenth birthday. That means I'm a legal adult, and I don't have to stay. I need to get as far away from that man as I can get, or one of us is going to end up dead."

Maddie could feel tears filling her own eyes, but unlike him, she let them fall freely. "You could live with us. You don't have to go."

Elijah pinched his eyes shut again, then looked down at the carpet between them. "You're the only person who could ever talk me into staying, M&M, so I'm begging you not to ask me to."

Maddie knew what dead meant. She'd seen it on TV plenty of times, and her dog died. She wasn't a baby anymore and knew what all the noise meant next door. Maddie didn't care if his dad died, and would probably go to hell for thinking that, but if Elijah died? No. She wouldn't ask him to stay. "Promise me you'll be safe, okay?"

"He will be," her dad said as he walked into the room. When Elijah stood, he handed him a piece of paper.

Elijah opened it up and looked at it. "This is the title to your car, Mitch."

Her dad nodded. "Signed over to you. Your piece of shit won't even make it across state lines, no offense. You're my son in every way that matters, Elijah, but I need you to get as far away from this town as possible. Never look back."

"I can't-"

"You can," her dad cut him off, then pulled an envelope out of his back pocket. "Just like you can accept this. Mary and I put aside fifty dollars out of each of our paychecks for the last two years, along with every Christmas bonus. There should be nearly five grand in there, along with a letter I wrote in case you get pulled over before you get it registered. You use that to start a new life, and know that we're thinking of you every single day. That bastard you share DNA with may not love you, Elijah, but we love you. You do matter. I want you to remember that."

Elijah nodded and burst into tears, crying harder than Maddie had when her dog died. Her dad pulled him into a hug and held him for so long. She even noticed her dad crying, too. That's when it all sank in.

Maddie would never see Elijah again. She'd see none of his smiles, never hear his laugh, and never play a game with him.

But she'd also never see his tears again, or his bruises and split open skin. Eighteen meant he was a legal adult. It meant he was finally free.

Her mom came over and laid the flat of her palm against Elijah's back. "We want you to have a great life, Elijah. Whatever you choose to do with it, just make sure it's filled with joy, because that, my sweet boy, is what you deserve."

Elijah nodded again, pulled away from both her parents, then picked up Maddie. "You're my North Star, M&M. You remember what that means, right?"

Maddie wiped her face with his shirt. "You'll always be able to find me."

Her dad held her mom tight, looking as if he was about to fall apart. "You better go, son. Garage is open, and your bags are loaded. If you need anything, you call us."

Elijah gave her a last squeeze, then set her down. Just like her dad told him to do, he didn't look back.