𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝒯𝓌𝑒𝓁𝓋𝑒: 𝒞𝑜𝒻𝒻𝑒𝑒 & 𝒫𝒽𝑜𝓃𝑒 𝒞𝒶𝓁𝓁𝓈

Madeline thought she'd scooted over once it was time for them to go to sleep. Yet when she awoke, she was on her side, with her hand on his chest and his arm sprawled across hers.

His steady breaths were like a melody. When he released a breath, it made this puff sound that immediately drew a smile to her face. Madeline silently reprimanded herself for wishing she could listen to that sound forever, but she already had a heavy scolding coming to her.

The adorable sounds weren't the only thing she acknowledged. The way his hand felt against her skin, leaving her arm in goosebumps. How her own felt against his chest, or rather what it felt. There were too many differences in him to fully take in yesterday.

Physically, he had little in common with the boy she knew. There were things not even time could alter, but besides those, he seemed like a different person. Until he smiled. He had so many of them, but when he laid eyes on her for the first time in years, and smiled up at her, it was with her favorite one, because there was no sadness hidden behind it.

Knowing he hadn't slept well this week, or in general since last she heard, he still had nightmares, Madeline pressed a quick kiss against his shoulder, and glided out of bed as discreetly as she could so as not to wake him. She felt guilty for leaving him there, seeing as she'd be disappointed if it were the other way around, but they'd already slept for nine hours, and if she was going to spend time with him this weekend, she needed to get her assignments completed.

After grabbing her laptop and phone, Madeline trotted down the steps, and after a quick trip to the restroom on the second floor, continued her journey to the main level of the house. She could already smell the coffee as she finished her descent, and saw Kendra sitting in the living room in silence with a cup of coffee in her hand.

Kendra was easily her favorite roommate. As much as Madeline loved Eva, nothing beat how calm and collected Kendra always was. She never made much noise, even when she was drunk. She always did the dishes and cleaned up after herself. That, and she was an outstanding study buddy.

"Morning," Madeline called over her shoulder as she headed to the kitchen to grab her own cup of coffee.

"Good morning. I got an interesting text message from Eva last night," Kendra said, more chipper than usual.

Madeline didn't doubt that her having male company over shot through the gossip grapevine.

"I bet."

"Make sure I'm here the next time he comes over," Kendra ordered. "I'll be impressed if he ends up being even half as gorgeous as she claims."

Madeline made her way into the living room and sat herself in the chair before turning her cell back on. "She didn't exaggerate, but don't you dare tell Eva or Elijah I said that."

Kendra's lips curved up in a devious smile she'd never seen before. "So, not a onetime visit from Mr. Gorgeous, huh?"

Something told her that Eva hadn't gone into detail about how she and Mr. Gorgeous knew one another. Eva had only known herself because of the picture Madeline had of the two of them over the two years they had roomed in a dorm together. The girl forced the story out of her over the first several months.

But the more people Madeline told about him, the less it felt like he belonged only to her. Not that he did, regardless. "He's still upstairs. I can't imagine him being able to sleep much longer."

"So, does that mean he's your new boyfriend?" Kendra asked, seeming to have an emotional investment in this situation, despite her lack of interest in her personal life before.

Madeline took her first sip of coffee before answering. "No."

"A booty call?"

Madeline shook her head before taking another drink.