I felt a tear slip out of my eye. I tried to not let her words affect me, but they were so harsh and mean. I tried to not let another tear fall, but it did. That was when I felt nothing but anger. I felt so angry she said those hurtful words to me just because I treated her once they way she treats me.

She let go of my hair and I saw her turn around and stand up. She grabbed her shoe and put it on, then started to walk away, flipping me off as she left.

"HEY, HEEYOUNG!" I screamed.

She whipped her head around, shocked I raised my voice with her.

My legs were on autopilot as they moved me forward, towards her. Feeling like I lost control, I swung my arm and slapped her in the face.

Her head flung to the side and again I immediately felt regret. She held her cheek and looked at me incredulously.

"I'M GOING TO FUCKING KILL YOU!" she screamed.

I started to run away.

Fuck! I shouldn't have angered her!

I looked behind me but to my horror, she was right behind me. I faced back ahead of me but I felt a blow to my back that sent me flying face first into the dirt.

I groaned in pain and rubbed my back.

She started hitting me with her palms repeatedly. Honestly, it hurt, but it was bearable, I was mostly just humiliated and scared. The kick she sent to my back earlier though, that one hurt like a bitch.

I just laid there getting pummeled and I cried. When she was finally done she grabbed me by the hair and pulled so that I was looking at her in the eyes.

"FUN FACT. EVEN YOUR PARENTS HATE YOU! WANT TO KNOW WHY THEY'RE NEVER AROUND?! IT'S BECAUSE THEY NEVER WANT TO SEE YOUR UGLY DISAPPOINTING FACE! THAT'S WHY YOU HAVE NO SIBLINGS TOO, BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T WANT TO PRODUCE MORE UGLY FATTIES LIKE YOU! YOU ARE A DISGUSTING HORRIBLE HUMAN BEING. YOU ARE HIDEOUS AND YOU DESERVE NOTHING!"

Her words stunned me, partially because I had thought some of them before, and partially because they were just flat out the meanest things anyone has ever said to me.

With that she roughly let go of my hair, slamming my head on the ground. She walked away and I heard her friends cackling as they walked away.

I laid there and sobbed a little longer, even though it was embarrassing.

- - -

SUMMER AFTER GR. 8

YUMI'S POV:

I ran as fast as my chubby, but less chubby than before legs could go; each step feeling like a mini accomplishment. I heaved and wiped the sweat off my forehead as I continued to push myself to new limits.

Was this the price to be valued in this world? Was this the price it took to be respected? Loved?

I kept running and felt the burn in my chest caused by overexertion. Each breath I took hurt, but it didn't matter. I had a goal and I wasn't going to stop until I reached it. Years and years of being looked at as less than a person, and one full year of the worst bullying of my life; I think I have all the reasons to seek change.

Shakily, I raised up my arm to press the speed button again. I need to work hard in order to lose this weight and maybe then, just maybe, they'll love me.

I shook my head and decided to ignore that last thought. I promised myself I wouldn't think about them ever again... not after I found out what they did.