I Become A Deranged Barbie Doll

Will hadn't tried to come out and talk to me this morning, that could either be because I hadn't wanted to walk with him yesterday, or because he wanted nothing to do with me after my weird little mood swing at the lake. Either way, I was pretty sure he was regretting ever saying he'd be my friend and had probably said something along the lines of, "No wonder he's never had a friend before" to himself at least once.

I was holed up in my room again, blasting music loud enough that the Solaces could probably hear it across the street. It was a wonder Hazel wasn't yelling at me, or maybe she was and I just couldn't hear it. I didn't bother to check, instead scratching Mrs. O'Leary behind the ears and reaching over to grab the novel that was open, pages down, off to one side on my bed, when the blue glow of my phone lighting up from its position on my windowsill caught my eye.

I picked it up, the tiny screen on the front told me I had one new message. That was weird since the only numbers in my contacts were my family members, and out of them, my mom was the only one who ever called or texted me. She wasn't the type of person to text me when she was at home with me, which she was at the moment. I paused before flipping it open, trying to think of a way to let down the poor guy who had probably tried to pick up some girl and had been given a fake number, and opened the text.

Hey, Neeks, it's Will. It seemed like something was bothering you at the lake. I just wanted to make sure you were doing okay.

I blinked, unsure which was stranger, the fact that he had somehow acquired my number, or that he was concerned about my well-being. My thumbs did a little dance over the keyboard while I tried to figure out how to respond. At first I typed out a simple inquiry as to how he'd gotten my number, then I'd decided that sounded rude and quickly deleted it. After a long process of typing and erasing in which I considered telling Will that he had the wrong number, I eventually rolled my eyes, typed a quick, "I'm fine" and sent it before I had time to decide otherwise.

Will didn't waste any time texting back, my phone buzzed a couple of seconds later.

Are you sure? I was worried I might have said something.

No, I hesitated, biting my lip, before I typed the next part. I just had a bad day, that's all. It wasn't really a lie. . . just a terminological inexactitude.

Okay. he replied, What happened?

I swore under my breath, Nothing you can help.

Sometimes it helps to talk.

I rolled my eyes, scoffing, and then felt bad. Will was only trying to help. I don't really like talking.

I've noticed. I imagined that he was wearing a smirk right then.

Will. I complained.

Nico.

I hate you. I typed, only half meaning it; the other half of me was trying not to smile.

You barely even know me.

I could say the same about you.

It was almost a full minute before Will sent his next message.

Then maybe we should get to know each other better.

I rolled my eyes again, You want to make me go somewhere with you, don't you?

Hey, if you don't like me you could just say so.

I was pretty sure he was joking, but these things are kind of hard to tell when all you have to go by are a few emotionless characters on a screen.