Drastically Optimistic, Hopelessly Innocent, or Extremely Blind

I woke up to the sound of my alarm clock blaring-- which is probably the most terrible noise known to mankind and the worst way to wake up-- and rolled over, groaning and pulling my pillow over my head in an attempt at smothering the noise.

It wasn't just that I'm not a morning person at all, I didn't want to get out of bed and acknowledge the fact that I was going to have to get up and force myself through another merdoso day. Eventually, after several minutes of persistent blaring, I sat up, my head still fuzzy from sleep, and forced myself to get up and walk over to where my alarm was perched on my dresser, rubbing the sleep out of my eyes. I hit the button clumsily and blundered out of my room and across the hall to the bathroom, closing and locking the door behind me. I flipped the lights on, blinking against the brightness and then turned the shower on to let the water heat up while I stripped off my clothes, and then stepped in.

I quickly washed my hair and scrubbed my body and then stood under the water, feeling it batter against my back and streak down my bare skin as I mentally prepared myself for another twenty-four hours. I tipped my head up and counted through all of the good things in my life, I found that it helped me to remember that I have things pretty good, that my life is actually worth living.

I always started with the same seven:

1. I have a roof over my head.

2. I have a stepmom who cares about me.

3. I have enough food to eat.

4. I have a bed to sleep in.

5. I have clothes on my back.

6. I have an education.

7. I have been exposed to good music.

After that, it got a bit more difficult. I ran my hands through my hair, pushing water out of it and feeling it splatter onto my skin as I racked my brain for another positive aspect of my bland existence.

8. I have survived this far.

9. My family is in good financial shape.

10. I made a friend yesterday.

That was probably the best thing in my life right now, it was actually the best thing that had happened to me in a long time. I was instantly grateful that Marie had made me go across the street to deliver the pie instead of Hazel. I rolled my eyes, imagining her instantly starting to flirt with Will.

My thoughts were interrupted by my step sister banging on the bathroom door, yelling at me to get out. Speak of the devil. I thought, shutting off the water and stepping out. There's a shower downstairs too, but if you have them running at the same time there's barely a trickle of water so it's pretty pointless to have two. I quickly dried off and then wrapped my towel around my waist, scooping my discarded pajama bottoms and boxers off the floor before I opened the door.

"Took you long enough." Hazel sniffed, pushing past me. She wasn't exactly the warmest person.

I ignored her and walked across the hall to my room where I slipped on black skinny jeans and a black skull t-shirt that was so faded the image was merely a ghostly shadow across my chest.

After that, I went downstairs and ate a fast breakfast before heading to the entryway to slip on my shoes and battered, fraying jacket, and grab my backpack. I opened the door and headed out, gripping the straps of my pack tightly and jogging down the steps and out to the sidewalk to begin my daily trudge to school.

"Neeks!" I heard behind me, I froze and turned around, Will was running towards me, grinning.

"Hey." I greeted, offering him a half-hearted smile.