Void

My heart was thudding in my chest, the Supreme Dickhead Crew had just made its way past, and once again, Percy wasn't at the head of it, and no one had paid me any attention (minus the sneer Octavian sent at me, but that was to be expected more than anything). I wasn't sure whether I should celebrate or not. My locker slammed shut with a satisfying bang! that cast those thoughts aside for now, to reveal an amused smirk and a pair of twinkling brown eyes.

I let out an annoyed sigh, wishing for once that Will wasn't home-schooled so he could get me out of this. "Hi, Leo. " I greeted, making an effort to sound as unenthusiastic as possible.

"Good to see you, too." I couldn't detect any of the sarcasm I'd been expecting, which somehow just made it sound even more sarcastic.

I checked my phone, 7:45, five more minutes to the bell to Hell. I barely suppressed a triumphant smile, "We should probably be heading to class." I pointed out.

Leo nodded, "What's your first period?"

"Mythology with Mr. Riordan," I replied, shifting my weight from foot to foot impatiently.

Leo nodded, "Mine's Science with Kemp, what luck, we can walk together!"

"Oh, joy!" I exclaimed, following Leo as he practically bounced up the hallway. "You know, I am such a people magnet lately."

Leo looked at me doubtfully, "Oh, yeah I saw all those people sitting with you at lunch."

"Leo, hate to break it to you, but there are people outside of this school, too." I took a moment to look horrified, "And thank God for that."

Leo snorted. At least he appreciated good humor. "So, people magnet?"

"Yeah, I managed to trick this tall kid into being my friend." I said, "Oh, hey! Look, there's my class! Gotta run!" I made a sharp turn into room 243 and sunk into my chair, scowling irritatably. I scanned over the date printed in the right hand corner of the board, Friday, May 22nd. Percy hasn't been here since Tuesday. That's three days and the rest of them still haven't tried anything. Worry gnawed at my gut as dropped my backpack onto the floor beneath me and leaned back, tempted to kick my feet up on the desk and lounge, but I found that it was better to stay invisable, and that meant not drawing attention to myself. My main concern was that Jackson might want to make up for lost time when he got back, and then I'd really have something to cry about.

Mr. Riordan walked in, grinning widely, and I pulled out my notebook distractedly. Time for another hour of aimless doodles. At least now I have something to look forward to when I get out of here. I found myself smiling vaguely, I had Will alone to thank for that.

-

I let out a surprised yelp as I turned around from closing my locker at the end of the day, my hand freezing in the middle of zipping my backpack.

Frank crossed the hallway in about two steps and pushed me against the lockers, wadding the collar of my shirt up in his huge fists. It wasn't the way Percy or Jason would've done it, with the pure intent of hurting me and making me look weak, but instead, was purely so I couldn't escape. "Look, I want to be very clear." he started, and I realized that this was the first time he had spoken to me in a threatening tone, and the school was pretty much empty, which meant no witnesses, and no need for him to keep his reputation. Merda. "I really like your sister and she can't know about anything, got it?"

I glared at him, rage suddenly bursting to life in my chest and swatting aside any fear I'd been feeling before. "You mean our little arrangement? The one where you stand by and watch while I get beaten senseless so that you can pretend you didn't do anything wrong because you didn't hit me? The one where I don't say anything about it because I know exactly what will happen? Just be a man and say it, Frank."