XX

One year later...

Nyla Smith

"Hello?" I questioned while answering my mothers call groggily as I stretched in my bed. I squinted my eyes at the bright sun peeking through the window.

"And good morning to you ma'am" My mother said sternly and I rolled my eyes as if she can see me.

"Good morning mama."

"Nyla, I just had a dream about fish. There were multiple fish swimming in a pond. It was lovely." My mother stated as I sucked my teeth loudly. Here she goes with this fish bullshit.

"What about Drew? I'm sure he can have kids. How come you didn't call him?" I asked glancing down at my flat stomach. I already knew about it.

"Well because you're my girl, so it's only right that I call you first." She told me confidently causing me to sigh in exhaustion.

The morning sickness started three weeks ago, but Javon probably didn't even notice due to his frequent absences. He likes handling things in the morning so he can spend the afternoons and evenings with me. As of right now, his side of the bed was empty and I was alone in the house.

I wasn't stressing or insecure about him seeing another woman however. After losing me once, he said he'll never lose me again.

"So who's the daddy?" My mother asked and from the tone of her voice, I knew she was smirking.

"Come on mama, you know Javon is." I said poking at my belly. I knew I was early in my pregnancy, but my mothers reference to it had me wondering how big I'll be. I'm petite, so maybe not too big.

"So you are pregnant! Nyla, I have to see you baby!" My mother exclaimed catching me off guard. I can't believe I fell for her trap that easily!

"Mama don't tell anybody! This is between you and I. Don't even tell Mr. Hale!" I said referring to my mothers male friend that I've only seen in pictures.

"It's only between us two? So you haven't told Drew yet?" My mother asked causing my heart to drop. Drew and I haven't spoken to each other since I got back with Javon, but my mother obviously didn't know that.

"Not yet." I informed my mother in a flat voice somewhat hoping that she'll get a hint to drop the subject. Not only was Drew my little brother, he was also the only person I trusted so I hated keeping this major part of my life a secret from him.

"Ny, are you alright?" My mother asked and I just shook my head. I didn't feel like speaking anymore.

"I'm good ma, but I gotta go. I feel funny." I lied resisting the urge to hang up.

"Well okay Nyla. Take care of yourself, and the little one. I love you baby girl." My mother said her final remarks and I nodded as if she could see me before finally ending the call.

Sighing, I tossed my phone on the empty space next to me before getting out of bed. I walked over to the small balcony attached to the bedroom and opened the door.

I entered the balcony and looked out at the clear blue water laid out in front of me. The weather was nice and breezy which led to people bringing out their boats and leisurely sailing in the water.

Feeling a sudden wave of nausea, I took a seat at the lounge chair and pulled out my phone examining my notification wall. I saw an iMessage notification from Javon and immediately opened it.

Javon- Dropped by the office because we had to resupply. I'll be back later.

I have to tell you something Von. Hurry up.