thirty four

ALLURA'S EYES WIDENED WHEN HER DAUGHTER WAS thrown away by the stones. She let out a small gasp, before she stared at the gauntlet in Thanos' grasp.

       If he snapped again, it would be truly over. Life would cease to exist as they knew it and the universe they were used to would become unrecognizable.

       Everything would be lost once more— ripped to shreds, and only the Titan would possess the knowledge of what everything was like before his cruelty and desire for an impossible world; that only destruction could grant him.

       Allura looked to her left and saw that Anthony Stark was already looking at her. For some reason, they were the only two standing. They were the only ones near the scene, not occupied with other monsters or aliens coming their way.

       It was them against Thanos. It was them fighting for the world.

       They saw that he was raising his hand, placing all of the stones back into the gauntlet, so they jumped into action.

      They didn't know what was going to happen— or well, at least one of them didn't.

       Allura punched him on the face, and then kicked him on the stomach with her abilities. Tony went to grab him around the neck, and pulled him down, before grabbing his hand where the gauntlet was for a few seconds.

       Allura noticed he seemed almost concentrated. He wasn't just trying to take the gauntlet away from him, like they had before. There was something in his eyes, something she knew would change the game but she couldn't fully understand what it was.

      She held Thanos' by the neck, so that Tony could try to pull the gauntlet away from his hand. But then the Titan hit the young Stark on the stomach, punching him once before throwing him away.

       He then grabbed Allura, and hit her on the head before kicking her on the stomach, throwing her away as well. The woman let out a groan, her body already in enough pain from the beginning of the battle.

      And as she realized that he still held the gauntlet, her stomach dropped. That was it. He would snap and it would be over.

       It would be over for good.

        Her green eyes filled with tears, as she looked at the Titan who was already staring at them with disgust and glory. He knew he had won, he knew that everything would go the way he planned it and there was nothing anyone could do to stop him this time.

       "I am inevitable." He told them, snapping painfully slow; to make them suffer their defeat.

       Allura inhaled sharply, waiting for her body to become dust. Her eyes searched for James, who was nowhere in sight, and for her daughter; who was already staring at the scene with blood running down her forehead and a tear falling down her cheek.

       Allura looked for her brother, who was helping Clint up. She looked for Natalia; who was making sure her two boys were alright.

       She looked at her people, who were still fighting monsters and trying to stop them from their mission.

       They didn't know it would be over. They didn't know that they had once more encountered failure in all of its beauty and imperfection.

       They didn't know they would finally get to exhale their last breaths in an unexpected goodbye.

       But after a minute passed, and nothing happened, Thanos' and Allura's eyes were wide.