Nineteen: Adrian Hale

I woke up before everyone else. I got dressed and looked at my scars in the mirror, they were still there. That's just great.

I made my way downstairs to see Kian sitting at the end of the stairs with Ace.

"Woah pretty, where are you headed to?" he asked, standing up. I took a deep breath, "Just come with me?"

He immediately agreed, getting into the car as I drove. He was like a puppy, looking out the window with so much amusement.

I parked in front of Hale Industries, hearing him gasp. I got out the car as he followed, the paparazzi were sitting, probably waiting for Adrian.

"Those the guys who hurt you?" Kian asked, clenching his jaw and putting his arm around me, protectively.

I nodded, watching as they saw me. "Did you not learn kid?" they taunted.

I walked up to the security guard who stopped me, I flashed my ID, seeing their eyes widen. "Miss Hale, uh come in"

I looked back at the paparazzi, their faces full of shock before jumping up to take photos.

The workers looked at me, so I quickly pressed the elevator button as they called out for us. It took us up to the top floor.

The elevators opened, two security guards looking at us weirdly, so I grabbed Kian's hand, bolting into my father's office as we were chased.

There he was, my father on the phone at his throne.

Security grabbed my arms, "Get your fucking hands off her" Kian exclaimed.

"So sorry sir, they ran, we can kick them out" the guard said, loosening his grip on me.

Kian began laughing, "Yeah, kick out his daughter"

My father looked at me, looking into my eyes, the duplicates of his own.

"Let them go" he instructed, they obliged before leaving.

Kian held my hands, examining them for any marks. "I'm okay" I assured, patting his cheek.

He sighed with relief before turning to my father.

"I think you should leave, let my daughter and I speak" My father spoke up, gesturing toward the door.

Kian scoffed, shaking his head. "Your daughter? She wanted me here, she had to have someone here just to speak to you because she's scared, she doesn't want to be alone with you. Now, she's the most amazing, talented and empathetic person I've ever met. She's also got hell of an attitude so I'm here for your safety"

I stifled my laugh, watching Adrian Hale in shock. 

Adrian sat back in his seat, gesturing for me to sit down.

I shook my head, glancing over at Kian who put his thumbs up, grinning.

"I've been meaning to reach out to you, I heard about your Grandpa" Adrian spoke up, making my blood boil.

I shook my head at him, "No. Jesus, it takes take for someone to die, just for you to want to reach out?" I scoffed.

He sighed, rubbing his temples. "No- I- I just- it's been a while and you're my daughter" he breathed out.

I chuckled bitterly, rolling my eyes. "A while? It has been 11 years! 11 years of no contact, no goddamn father so don't you dare call me your daughter, Adrian" I exclaimed.

He acted as if the use of his name pierced his heart. I gripped onto the back of the chair, trying to have any ounce of self-control.

"What? You expect me go back to calling you dad. Any fucking idiot can become a father but you- you're not my dad." I continued, looking up to meet his eyes.

He stayed silent. "You have daughter, a true Hale. Me? I'm a fraud, just a host to YOUR name. Doctor David Pierce is a cardio thoracic surgeon, hell of a lot busier than you yet he's been to graduation, volleyball games, birthdays, Christmas. And when Grandpa died, he didn't just give me a pat on the back, he RAN to me, he held me. He's my dad"

He scoffed, crossing his arms at me. "I'm very disappointed in you, I thought your mother would have raised you better. You come in here, with your little boyfriend to what? Rub in my face that you replaced me?" he responded bitterly.

I slumped my shoulder, fighting back the tears. His face dropped; I could tell he regretted it.

"No, Adrian. I'm disappointed in you. I'm the one you neglected for 11 years so if I march in here and yell at you, you take it. You abandoned me, up and left without any explanation. You got remarried, had a new daughter so yes, I'm allowed to be angry" I exclaimed, pointing at him with every dig.

He stared at me before glancing at a photo of his wife and new daughter. I walked toward it.

She looked nothing like me, maybe just the eyes, other than that she was purely her mother. I felt a hand on my shoulder, it wasn't Kian.

"Please don't touch me, I am not crying in front of you" I mumbled, stepping away from him.

I walked back over to the chair, staring down at it.

"I graduated top of my class. I'm in college, music major. Captain of the volleyball team. New homeowner, I'm sure Leah passed on my thank you. you can take it back, give it to your daughter" I said, feeling a tear race down my cheek so I quickly wiped it away.

He hummed, "No, Aspyn. it's yours" We were interrupted by the door swinging open.

I turned around to see them, his new family. The little girl, around 6, run toward him as his wife looked between us.

I gestured Kian to leave so he nodded, putting his arm around me as we began walking toward the door.

"Wait, Aspyn" his wife called out. I froze, turning to her.

"Please, I understand not wanting to be involved with us but please try to reconcile" she pleaded.

I looked up at him as he held his new daughter. "I'm pretty sure you don't have to reconcile with the daughter you left 11 years ago, to get into heaven. He'll be fine"