Six: Daddy issues

I woke up earlier than the Jaxson who was still asleep, peacefully. I changed into a sweatshirt and shorts with Nikes.

I got into the elevator, being joined by another person. "Couldn't sleep?" he asked.

I looked up at him, dark hair, blue eyes, tall. I nodded, "Tucker Jones by the way"

I smiled, shaking his hand "Aspyn Hale"

He nodded, "I know, you're rooming with Jaxson Scott, aren't you?" he asked as we walked off the elevator.

"yeah, he's not too bad, we just don't get along" I half shrugged, looking around at the open area.

He nodded understandingly, "I've gotta meet with Jones, see you around" he grinned, waving as he left.

I grinned as I left, finding myself sitting under a tree so I face timed my mum.

"Hi sweetie, oh what happened to your cheek?" she asked furrowing her brows, alerting David, her fiancé peeking his head.

"it was just an accident from volleyball, I joined the team. It's nothing" I blatantly lied, making them sigh with relief.

"Anyway, my music professor asked me to perform at the gala this Sunday, did you guys get the invitation?" I asked, watching as they looked through letters, opening one.

"That's amazing, I am so proud of you! I'll be there love" Mum gushed with excitement.

I furrowed my brows, looking at David, "And you?" I asked with hopeful eyes.

He looked at me in shock before smiling wide as he nodded, it made me happy.

"I also have a game on Saturday but it's nothing important, I know how busy you are saving lives and cutting hearts" I chuckled, making them laugh.

"We'll be there, nothing is not important when it comes to you. And it's your birthday" David assured, making me tear up a little.

They both looked at me concerned. 

"I'm sorry, it's just nice to know that you guys want to be there. I-I've gotta go. I'll call you guys later. I love you" I rambled before hanging up.

I groaned, lying down with my arms over my eyes

"You okay Aspyn?" I heard Tucker ask, feeling him sit beside me.

I sat up, uncovering my eyes and smiling. "Just y'know working through my daddy issues"

He raised a brow at me, "Care to elaborate before I assume you're talking about something else?" he asked with a light chuckle. 

I pulled my knees to my chest. "You probably know my father, Adrian Hale?" I asked rhetorically.

"My parents divorced when I was eight, he moved here to start the company. My mum granted him 50% custody, we both assumed he'd still want me. Guess not, I haven't seen him in over 10 years" I explained, looking down.

"Anyway, my mum got engaged to this amazing man, David. Cardio thoracic surgeon so I don't really get to see him much but regardless, he always makes an effort to be there for me" I finished rambling, smiling.

Tucker looked at me, smiling. "I'm sorry about your father but I'm glad you're getting the dad you deserve"

God, that almost made me cry right there. I went to respond before my phone began blowing up with texts. Kian was spamming me.

"Sorry, it's Kian" I apologised, looking through them.

Kian: I woke up and you're not here
Kian: Where are you?
Kian: Levi's worried

Kian: Did someone kidnap you?

Kian: Hale where the fuck are you

Kian: That was Jaxson, he stole my phone. See you need to come back 😭

Me: calm the fuck down

Me: I woke up early and went to talk to coach. I'll see you guys at the dining hall for breakfast.

Tucker and I talked for a while, laughing and getting along really well before making our way to the dining hall to see everyone at the table.

They all looked as we walked over, "Thanks for taking care of our girl" Kian sighed, shaking Tucker's hand.

I swatted his hand, glaring. "I'm not a puppy" I scolded before waving at Tucker as he left.

Mia had already grabbed a plate for me so I sat down, eating as Mia stared at me. 

"I met him on the elevator then later he saw me havinga fit by the tree and we just talked, relax" I defended.

Levi wiggled his brows, "Do you like him?" He asked.

I like him as a friend, I just got out of a year long relationship, I need time. 

I shook my head, "I'm not ready for that"

*** 

I had psych today, surprisingly with Jaxson. We walked to class together, silently before splitting up as he sat with some girl.

Tucker waved me over so I sat beside him, hearing the girl laugh obnoxiously. We went over an assignment, cracking jokes and laughing really hard.

"I'm glad you two find this fun, can everyone else be as enthusiastic?" The professor called out.

I glanced over at Jaxson who was already looking at me.

"Hey, we should get some ice cream together or something, sometime" Tucker asked.

I looked down at my laptop then to him, "You're talking about food when I'm staring at pictures of brains?" I scrunched my nose.

He smiled and nodded, "If not now, when?" he spoke poetically.

"Okay Shakespeare" I laughed, "I might just take you up on that"