||5 days|| Part 6

Wednesday came.

The five days were over.

For the first time in a week, Betty awoke in a cold and empty bed. She rubbed her eyes, sitting up and looking around the room to figure out if she could see Jughead anywhere.

No sign of him.

"Jug?" She called and when there wasn't an answer, she furrowed her brows and got out of bed. Walking over to her closet, she picked out a sweater and some jeans before changing. After that, she walked downstairs, hoping that he was just making breakfast already. Instead, there was a stack of pancakes, still warm, and a letter leaned against them. With Jughead's beautiful cursive writing, her name was written onto it. It looked just like it was printed. Hesitantly she walked over to it and then grabbed the letter before slowly unfolding it.

Dear Betts,
it's currently 2am, you're laying asleep beside me, your head in my lap and my hand playing with your soft curls as I'm writing this. I'll be waiting until dawn. When you stir, I'll be out of the house. You look so peaceful when you are sleeping. You truly are what I imagine Aphrodite would look like.
I've been thinking a lot. Especially those past few hours. I don't know what the future brings, for you, for me. I don't know what the future would bring for us.
I would have liked to figure it out though.
I really do.
However, us is not enough to save me. I'm sorry, Betts. I wish that you would have changed my mind. Maybe you did. But somewhere along the line, the little bubble bursted. You couldn't have saved me. I know that you tried but I was already too deep, drowning in the water of Sweatwater, even if you saved me a week ago.
I don't want you to feel bad about it though.
You did everything you could and you were amazing, okay? You were an amazing girlfriend as well. You were the only good thing that lasted in my life.
You were my light, Betts.
Thank you for that. Thank you for everything that you did. Thank you for kidnapping me five days ago. Thank you for giving me a good experience with my body. Thank you for showing me that I could still be loved.
Please forgive me for what I'm about to do. I know that you don't want me to end it and that you want me to stay with you but I just can't. I'm sorry.
I love you, Betts, never forget that. There are reasons to keep going, you still got your dreams, you have friends. Try to reach out to them, okay? Try to stay strong, like I couldn't. Try to stay alive, for me.

  In love,
      your loving boyfriend.

"Dammit, Jughead" she whispered, forgetting the letter on the table as she headed for the door, grabbing her parents car keys. Driving as fast as the car would provide, she made her way back to the cliff. It's where all of this started, maybe that's where he chose to come back.

"Jughead!" Betty yelled, steering the car to the side of the road and hitting the breaks before she ran after him, grasping his hand "thank God, I found you..."

"You can't be here, Betts" Jughead whispered, shaking his head. He stifled a sob, trying to break free from her. She couldn't be here. She would make him stop. He should have just left earlier.

"Give me another chance to change your mind, Juggy"

"You can't, Betty, no one can anymore. I'm already down there in the water, drowning, for months by now. Please just- just leave. I don't want you to..." she shouldn't have to see this.

"I'm not leaving, Jughead. If you still want to go, you can. But I'm not leaving. I'll try to stop you, again and again" she said, crying as she grabbed his hand again, pulling him closer to her.

"Please just leave, Betty"

"I won't, not again, okay? I won't ever leave you again, Jughead" she whispered, caressing his cheek with her other hand before going on her tiptoes to kiss him, softly at first and then deepening it, trying to show him — show him how much she cared, show him that she was serious, show him how much she loved him and how much his loss would be her loss "I won't leave you"

"Betty, I can't anymore..."

"Yes, you can, I believe in you"

"You don't know half of it"

"Then tell me, Juggy. I'll help you" she whispered, pulling him even closer.

"I don't think that I can" Jughead pulled her in a hug, kissing her forehead "Just... Just so you know... those past five days were the best in years. I thought that I would never see you again, after..." after she left him "and then you kissed me and I didn't see that coming. I don't- I just never saw you liking me. I'm sorry for causing you even more pain now"

"You don't have to. Just... Just stay here, with me. We can help each other and-"

"You can't save me, Betts" he whispered, giving her a soft smile as he pulled away "I know that you don't want to but I can't anymore. You have to let me go. Please let me go, Betts"

"I can't, Juggy"

"You have to"

Why wasn't she enough?

Why could she never be enough?

________________________________

Might use this as a cliffhanger and make a story out of it...
It would be called "Make me love again" then