Chapter 7

Lena lets out a heavy sigh, "I don't know what to say, Kara."

"Anything, Lee. I'll take anything," Kara practically begs.

"I'm tired, darling. Let's talk another time." Lena can hear Kara crying on the other end, but she spoke her truth. She's tired. These emotions are draining, and she needs to save her energy to do disaster planning. She should have known better. The Luthor name always threatens to destroy everything, and no good deed goes unpunished.

"Please, Lee. Please don't shut me out." Kara is panicking. Lena sounds so defeated, and the blonde honestly has no clue how she will react in this situation. "Alex won't tell anyone. I promise. I'll- I'll make her sign an NDA if you want. Can- can I at least see you tonight? We don't even have to talk. I- I just want to see you."

Lena let's out another defeated sigh. She appreciates the effort, but right now, with the adrenaline waning, fear setting in, and anxiety growing, it's all getting to her. She needs to get off the phone before she has a melt down. She says as sincerely as possible, knowing that Kara needs to focus on her own life, "I thought your sister was coming into town today. You should go see her and spend time with her. You need your person, especially now that you plan on telling them all. I- I'll see if I can still host game night on Friday. Goodbye, Kara."

She hangs up before Kara can talk her out of it. She half expected the phone to ring immediately after ending the call. She surprisingly feels a hint of disappointment when it doesn't. She really thought she would be relieved that Kara respected her boundaries; so feeling this pang of sadness doesn't sit well with her. Lena packs up her belongings to go home for the day. She needs to think about everything and plan for the inevitable fallout Alex will cause.

Across town, Kara hopelessly cries into the phone, even though Lena already hung up. After everything, Alex managed to swoop in and ruin everything that is going well for the blonde. Kara is convinced that Lena will come up with a reason not to host game night. She knows that the doctor will likely ignore all digital communication if she hasn't already shut off her phone. She's not even sure she will have the courage to tell everyone about her cancer without the doctor in her corner. Even though Lena thought that Alex is still her person, it hits Kara that it's not Alex who she wants to run to right now for comfort. Kara wants no one more than the good doctor. Fresh sobs wrack her body at the realization.

When Kara hears a hesitant knocking on her door and the knob jiggle, she is quick to stand up and turn her back to it. She spent two years hiding her tears and her pain, and she's not about to let that change now. She rolls her shoulders back and steels her spine, even though her eyes are red and puffy. She clears her throat as she hears the person enter even though she didn't admit them.

"Kar? You okay?"

The reporter rolls her eyes. Of course it had to be Winn. He's the only one that hadn't given up on her yet. She answers coldly, "I'm fine."

"I- I thought I heard someone crying."

"You must have been mistaken."

She can hear Winn take a step into the room. "Kara... come on. What's been going on? You know you can talk to me, right?"

"There's nothing to talk about. Now if you will excuse me, I have work to do."

Winn lets out a heavy breath. "I miss you Kar. We all do. I'll be here whenever you are ready to talk."

Kara barely hears the click of the door before losing her composure again. She throws everything haphazardly into her messenger bag. She needs to get out of the office quickly. She just wants to curl up on her couch at hoe, but she fights that feeling. She needs to make things right with Lena. The reporter starts to formulate a plan in her head. It's a rough plan, very rough, but she thinks it'll work.