Chapter 1

"Dr. Kieran is ready to see you," Jess says politely.

"Thank you," the blonde responds. She moves to follow the short assistant and goes through the door that Jess holds open for her. The door closes behind her with a thud.

A young doctor in a white coat approaches the blonde with her hand outstretched in greeting, "Hello. You must be Ms. Danvers. I'm Dr. Kieran."

The blonde reaches out hesitantly with a tight smile and shakes her hand. "Hi. Please, call me Kara."

"Well, Kara. Feel free to call me Lena. Dr. Hamilton let me know that this appointment is just to confirm the latest results. Just to have a second pair of eyes."

The doctor holds out her hand to have Kara sit across from her at her desk. Dr. Kieran pulls up the medical chart on her computer and studies it. The patient interrupts her.

"It's bad news isn't it."

Dr. Kieran can hear her voice become so small and broken. She looks up to see the blonde woman picking at her nails and tears filling her eyes. She summons as much warmth in her voice as she can, "Let's not get ahead of ourselves. I'm just verifying the results to ensure I give you the correct information. From what I'm seeing, your cancer is in complete remission, Kara. It's good news."

Blue eyes snap up and stare with disbelief. Tears stream down her face. A nervous hope fills her. "Are- are you sure?"

"I'm sure. You're cancer free." Lena smiles brightly at her. These are the good days, watching patients realize they still have their entire lives ahead of them. "We will still want to follow and have you test regularly to make sure it doesn't come back."

Kara starts sobbing uncontrollably. She chokes out apologies. Dr. Kieran moves around her desk to sit in the second chair meant for patients and holds Kara's hands in her own.

"It's okay, Kara. Take all the time you need. Do you want to call anyone with me here to answer any questions?" the doctor asks softly.

Kara shakes her head. "I- I never told anyone about it."

Lena's face drops. For every cancer patient, they always encourage having a strong support system in place of family and friends. "Y-you never told anyone?"

Kara shakes her head in denial. "I- I didn't want to bother them with this."

"Kara," Dr. Kieran says carefully. "I'm sure your family and friends and loved ones would want to know."

They sit in silence together, Kara's hands still in Lena's. Kara gets control of her sobs slowly, letting them turning them into hiccups.

"Do you have anyone who can pick you up and drive you home? You shouldn't drive like this."

Kara shakes her head, squeezing the doctor's hands. "I came on the bus. I'll be okay."

Something about the woman pulls at her. She can't deny that Kara is a beautiful woman, but something deeper than her looks is beautiful. Lena doesn't believe in a soul, but if she did, Kara has a beautiful soul. She can't stand to think Kara suffering through this on her own or even being alone once she leaves the office. An idea pops in Dr. Kieran's mind, and before she can process it, she opens her mouth in a rushed whisper. "How about I give you a ride home?"

Kara looks confused. "Y- you don't need to that."

"I want to. You shouldn't be alone right now. This is a lot to process and telling someone right now means you have to go through everything since you started seeing Dr. Hamilton two years ago. Let me make sure you get home safely?"