Intermission: To Be or Not to Be

Start from the beginning

The argument somehow resolved itself, and others nodded at each other, giving short speeches to express their regret after shamelessly mocking Iris in secret for years. The Queen squinted, and their facade crumbled.

It wasn't even mere provocation. To them, it was the perfect situation to remove the 'detestable child' that currently possesses royal blood, which they knew the Queen couldn't refuse after deliberating with the military. There was no one else to blame but her inexperience in letting it happen.

"Your Majesty, we await your decision."

Raven's words brought her back from her thoughts. The Queen's calm exterior betrayed her inner turmoil as she took a breath, carrying out the decision that shall seal her granddaughter's fate.

Then all eyes turned to the slamming of the door. Royal knights and a young woman wearing the white and gold garb of the court priestess barged into the room, breathing heavily after running from the altar, and fell to her knees.

"Your Majesty, I bring an oracle that may save Her Highness!" the priestess managed in between breaths.

"Oracle?!"

It was for a moment, but a scowl formed among the nobles.

"You may continue."

"In my time of silent prayer, I received a vision depicting a fiery land. Whoever touched the flames suffered eternal suffering rather than death. Like a mark, whichever part the fire touched will never be snuffed. Good and evil; the young and the old; rich and poor; noble or not; the fire does not discriminate."

The priestess wept. Just what did she see? Only those who knew the woman understood the gravity through her tears after years of service tending to countless deaths, pleasant and not, across the Kingdom.

"Yet, despite everything in that hellfire, was a bright, warm light sparing those from death. And at the center, a radiant figure."

Varying amounts of sweat poured down the nobles' foreheads. It's as if it was an allegory to war and a hero, but Prime Minister Raven's face had an annoyed twitch, the number of wrinkles on his forehead showing after his twenty years of service.

"Priestess, make sense."

"An Otherworlder has descended. And they bring salvation or doom to whoever welcomes or displeases them."

The nobles gulped — Such strong words from the robes of faith.

"Where can we find this Otherworlder?"

"Your Majesty, you can't possibly be–"

"I am, Prime Minister," she emphasized his title. "In our darkest hour, God has answered our prayers. Who are we, faithful children, to refuse His gift?"

Added with all their 'sincerity' earlier, it took only a few yeses and some nods to continue. No matter what they say now, who would have the audacity to take back what they've said in front of the ruler of the Kingdom if not the Gods?

"Where can we find this Otherworlder?"

"The Forest of No Return."

Near the Canary-Alsace border, much less a dangerous area adjacent to the Kangdo Margravate.

"Very well. I shall assemble the royal knights to recruit them."

Be it power, money, or women, Isabella can offer all of those. If the Otherworlder demanded Iris' hand, it would be a political disaster. Already contemplating possibilities, the priestess coughed for her attention.

"Is there anything else?"

"'The Princess must accompany the search party should she be free from her curse,' a voice instructed."