Aone Takanobu's Birthday (August 13)

ابدأ من البداية

"I'm glad your club activities are going well." Her mother smiled and stirred the pot. "Will you set the table? We're having hayashi rice tonight."

Ai smiled to herself. It was two days too early for that, but...
"Sure."

.

After eating and clearing the table, Ai poured herself a cup of tea and grabbed her phone.

The past was in the past.

Even if Aone was one of the Iron Walls that had shut out Asahi last year, he and the rest of Date Tech seemed like good people. Their short interaction before their game at Interhigh this year — when Moniwa, the captain, prevented bad blood between the two teams — was proof of that. Not to mention that the tall middle blocker formed an admirable friendship with Hinata.

She had no reason not to make something for the fellow second-year.

"Mom, I'm going downstairs to the shop. I want to make a couple of birthday cards."

"Sure. You know where the supplies are. I'll be down in a bit, too." Her mother waved her off, while her father sat down with coffee and a good book.

———

Monday, August 13
At Date Technical High School
(Miyagi)

"Aone, you've got a letter." Coach Oiwake came back to the gymnasium from the faculty room with an envelope.

The school was technically closed for the summer, but the volleyball club and many other clubs — like baseball, soccer, track and field, and jūdō — still came to use the campus. The teachers unlocked and had access to the main building as well.

The timer rang just as Aone glanced over to the coach with a nod.

"Okay, that's ten minutes!" Nametsu, Date Tech's manager, called, pressing the button on the stopwatch.

The guys groaned and sighed as they took a break.

The female second-year checked off the warmup drills the guys had already done that morning and passed the clipboard to the stern-looking coach. After, she went to the storage room for rags to wipe the floor.
Nametsu was an experienced volleyball manager. She used to play volleyball, too, but she stopped when doing both classes and sports became too much for her. Although she didn't go to the Interhigh tournament, Nametsu watched the team closely and helped the coach evaluate what the athletes needed to work on.

Aone walked to Coach Oiwake to receive the mail and nodded gruffly in thanks. Despite his huge stature and a scowl to complete his intimidating exterior, the middle blocker was polite and very respectful.

Aone's was the first birthday of Date Tech's team members. Although, to be specific, the first-year setter had his birthday in July, but he was still very new to volleyball and the team. The giant setter hadn't been in an official tournament yet.

Therefore, it was safe to say that none of them were expecting a celebration from anyone from another school.

"..." Aone stared at the coach silently, asking permission to open it now during practice.

Coach Oiwake understood what he was trying to say and allowed it. "That's fine. You can open it now during break time."
The coach trusted that Aone would focus on training once the break was over, so a small treat wouldn't hurt.

Futakuchi whistled and teased, "Wow, someone's popular." He was the new, second-year captain after the third-years had retired. Futakuchi was also one of Date Tech's proud Iron Walls and the ace wing spiker for the current team; an overall remarkable status.