The Tiny Door on the Second Floor

October 31st, 2011

The moving trucks slowly pulled up the slanted driveway of our new home in Green, Ohio. We had previously lived in an apartment in the same school district, but we needed more space. With a family of four and four pets, it was a little cramped, especially because me and my ten year old sister had to share a room. In our new house, there is more room, a two car garage, and I get my own room.

Finally, I can have something I've never been able to possess. Privacy. Me and my sister were bringing all of our belongings up to our rooms while the movers were bringing in all of our furniture.

After they were done unloading, my parents went with the movers to have dinner while me and my sister were left to unpack. After I was done, I had to go find a bathroom. Apparently, there was a full bath somewhere on the second floor, and I was able to find it quick enough. When I got in there, I noticed that all of the walls were covered in the same awful wallpaper that looked like it belonged in a retirement home. I was studying all of the wall decorations when I noticed a small square carved out of the wallpaper. There were six bolts, three on each side. I tried to pry it open, but it was bolted up really tight. I wasn't really in the mood to explore, though, so I let it be. But now I wish I had investigated it further to make sure there weren't any cracks.

November 3rd, 2011

I couldn't sleep for the past couple of days. All I've been able to think about was that shape in the wall. A couple of times I've tried using other tools to get it to open, but it just wouldn't budge. It was really starting to peak my curiosity.

My parents wedding anniversary is today, and I plan on getting that door open while they're gone, one way or another. As soon as they left, I snuck down to the basement and searched for my Dad's tools. I was finally able to find them, but the box was so heavy my back was aching by the time I got to the 2nd floor.

Once there, I pulled out my dad's biggest screwdriver. It took me a while to get all of the bolts loose enough, but eventually, all six had been pulled out. Finally, I would be able to see what was mocking me behind this door these past four days! But when I opened it... to my disappointment... there didn't seem to be anything but a little box. I reached in and tried to open it, but it was locked shut. Darn it! Just when I thought I had solved the mystery, it gets even more frustrating! Oh well, since I have nothing else better to do, I suppose I'll search for the key tomorrow.

November 4th, 2011

Well, today's the day. After about three hours of searching, I was finally able to find the key to the box. But where I did find it was... strange. I was down in the basement putting my dad's tools back, and then something caught my eye.

It was an old painting of the previous family that lived here. When I looked at it closer, I noticed it wasn't hanging flat against the wall. And when I looked behind it, there was a small safe. I thought that I would have to try to crack the code, but the lock had been broken a while ago. When I opened it up, I found the key to the box, and a note. The note read as follows:

"Some mysteries are meant to stay a mystery. If you wish to open that accursed box, let me warn you. The chest's contents were supposed to remain a secret for all eternity, for the owners fear that if that information gets into the wrong hands, it can bring total chaos to all who hear that word."

I had absolutely no idea what that meant, so I really didn't take it too seriously. I brought the rusty old key back upstairs and got the box out from under my bed. I stuck the key in the lock, and smoothly turned it to the right until I heard the small "CLICK" and the lock came loose. I lifted up the moldy lid and, to my surprise, there was only a couple of pictures and a small piece of paper. All of the pictures were of all of the rooms in the house. But something was... different about them. The rooms were completely empty except for one little girl that stood in the center of the room. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that each girl was slightly different from the others. I realized that they were different girls, all sisters.