XXXIV

a/n: some lighthearted scenes for us all because we deserve a plot less ish chapter. A.k.a. I just needed a filler chapter.

~~~~~

"L/N Y/N."

Taking a deep breath, you put on a bright smile on your face as you stride over to the podium where your professors all stand, a smile on their faces as they hand you your diploma. "Congratulations." They tell you before you both face the crowd, your eyes immediately landing on Shinichiro who's waving his arm around before taking pictures of you. You can't help but get teary eyed when you see grandpa, Benkei, Wakasa, your friends and the kids - the only ones missing are Izana and Kakucho who you've already called and said that you'll treat them out next week to celebrate - right next to him, all of them waving around some kind of picture of you.

You would've felt embarrassed with how energetic they all are but you're too caught up in your emotions as you bow at all of your professors before walking off the stage, glad that your makeup didn't run down your cheeks from the tears that are barely being held in.

It feels surreal, finally graduating after years of hardships and stress but now, you're being celebrated by your family.

Leading you outside and into the gardens of the university, you're immediately met with hugs and kisses from the kids and your friends. The kids gave you cards with greetings on them while Benkei and Wakasa both gave you a hug before letting grandpa congratulate you as well. Then, right after that, your friends all attacked you with hugs, giggles leaving their lips when they forced you to turn around only to be met with Shinichiro who has the biggest smile on his face as he approaches you with arms wide open, ready to pull you into his embrace.

You don't know why but by now, you can already feel your tears free falling down your cheeks as you run into his arms, legs wrapping around his waist which makes your friends laugh. Steadying the two of you, Shinichiro looks up at you. "Congratulations, princess. You did good, deserved it all, worked so hard." He makes sure to punctuate every word with a kiss on your lips which elicits a giggle from you. "I'm just sorry that I wasn't able to get you a gift."

Cupping his cheeks, you lean down, pressing your lips against his before shaking your head. "It doesn't matter, Shin. At least you're all here with me."

"Well, not yet."

Pulling away, you give him an inquisitive look which makes the rest chuckle as Shinichiro sets you down. "Your parents aren't here yet." By now, you can practically hear the playful lilt in his voice as he places his hands on your shoulders, slowly turning you around as you continue to stare at him.

"What do you mean 'yet'?"

Resting his head on your shoulder, he gently makes you look in front of you, your eyes barely catching sight of the couple in front of you, both of them still holding onto their suitcases.

"Sorry we're late. We had to stop by and make sure that we got you your flowers." Your dad says, a little shy as he presents the huge bouquet in front of them.

Your eyesight blurs as you feel your tears cascade down your cheeks, your form slowly leaving Shinichiro's embrace as you hesitantly make your way to your parents, unsure of what to do with them standing right in front of you. It feels foreign, being able to actually see them physically standing in front of you instead of the usual virtual conversations that you have with them.

"You... you came."

"Of course we did, sweetheart. Couldn't miss it for the world." Your mum whispers against your hair as she pulls you into a hug as your father engulfs the two of you in a hug.

"Though Shinichiro was quite adamant on making sure that we make it back on time. He kept calling us and sending letters." Your father adds, which makes you peek behind your mother's back to see Shinichiro proudly taking pictures of you and your diploma, a big proud smile on his face while the others pose around the bouquets and diploma that you got.

With a teary smile, you mouth 'I love you' to him when the two of you make eye contact.

As your parents continue to hug you, your friends can't help but approach Shinichiro who's now looking over all of the pictures that he took of you during your graduation. "Hey Sano." At the sound of Haki's voice, your boyfriend can't help but flinch, still a little intimidated when it comes to your friend who can't seem to drop the act when your boyfriend's near.

"Yes?"

"You talked to Y/N's parents right? Into coming home for her graduation?"

Hesitantly nodding his head, he spares a glance towards your direction before focusing back on your friends. "Well, does that mean that you're finally going to ask them?" Yui asks, a giddy smile on her face as she jumps on her spot.

"Ask them?" Shinichiro asks, brows furrowing when Haki lets out an exasperated sigh like she can't believe that he's this clueless over something so obvious.

"Yeah! Y'know... ask them for permission... for you know..." Sara adds, eyes looking at him expectantly, leaning towards him a little as they all wait for him to finally get what they're talking about.

By now, Shinichiro's starting to feel nervous, still unaware of what's happening until it finally hits him.

"Oh!" His lips form an 'o' which makes the girls all sigh in relief at seeing him finally getting what they mean. "That! Yes! I-I'm actually planning to talk to them later... her dad already knows..." With a bashful smile, Shinichiro scratches the back of his neck as his hand unconsciously makes its way to his chain necklace, an accessory of his that you've definitely fallen in love with over the past years.

"I'm already thinking about ho-" Shinichiro gets cut off when they hear you calling for him which immediately got the girls pushing him towards you, frantic and eager to get your boyfriend back to your side.

With one final look in your direction, your friends all let out a sigh of relief, fist bumping each other. "Mission Y/N and Shinichiro love team is a go. We're making this relationship last forever even if it costs us our own!" They all whisper to each other, unaware of the weirded out look that Manjiro and his friends are giving them.

"Can't believe Y/N's friends are all weirdos..." Keisuke whispers to Manjiro who secretly nods, the kids all running away when your friends look towards the kids.