Chapter - Twelve (Alexander)

The clock had barely stricken two when I was all ready for my endeavours. I had put on my top and sweatpants which had been hiding at the back of my second closet. I also made sure to not forget to put on the black cloth mask to make sure my identity was well hidden. Citizens wearing a mask anyways was a usual sighting because of the dusty environment in the areas where the people of the lower rankings lived in.

Quietly opening the bedroom window, which was over five feet long, I hopped out into the wet grass of my front porch. I didn't mind not getting up from my awkward position as the grass felt softer than ever on my hair. Talking about hair, I forgot to put on my hat! How am I supposed to climb that window back up to get it?! You know what? It doesn't matter. A hat isn't going to do shit hiding my graceful identity. Before you say it, I'm not a narcissist. I'm just perfect...

Looking at my watch, I got up on my feet, realising it had struck two. Now if you're wondering as to why I'm in such a hurry, it's because I have a strict schedule to follow back at the palace. I am supposed to be awake at 4 o'clock sharp as the room guard comes in and loudly opens the curtains to the dark nothingness outside. By 5am, the castle is lit up as we make a huge entrance into the main hall where hundreds of civilians are gathered to greet and cheer unto us early in the morning.

Now you might think that I'm living a dream life but in reality, it is all for show. We barely get any sleep and have to dress up elegantly everyday as thousands of people greet us with the fakest smiles. Scarred by what the King had done to the people who by law didn't come to greet the royals one morning, the people make sure not to miss any morning of clapping for the majestic King himself.

I hurriedly got up and fixed my mask and shirt. Looking around quietly, I discovered that like any other Saturday night, the guards were a little woozy. Taking advantage of the lack of attentiveness from the guards, I turned the corner to the path leading to the backyard of the castle. It wasn't long before I reached the huge plain grassland covered with exceptionally huge statues of my father. Some of them had him posed as the Statue of Liberty whereas he smiled his fake smile in some, as he asserted dominance over the poor civilians.

Inspecting the fence to the outside, I hid behind the huge golden statues as I darted my eyes towards the grass making the slightest whistle because of the wind. Quietly creeping towards the part of the fence which was lower than the other parts, I hid behind the last hiding spot available before I would have to make a run for the exit. Being used to this path, I was pretty confident that I would easily get out but the worst things happen when you least expect it.

Before I knew it, I heard the huge backdoor of the castle bust open as the King himself came out of the doors, his shadow on the grass growing smaller as he walked farther from the chandelier lighting up the inside. My heart raced as he got closer to the statue I was hiding behind. As he came closer, the crackling grass under his feet was loud enough to diminish the sound of my loud breathing into thin air.

I cowered into the darkness as I watched my father walk to the clearing I was supposed to run through to my only escape. He stood there with an air of dominance with his hand folded behind his back. Although no one was watching him, or so he thought, he lifted his head up high. Guess it's just in his blood.

He stood there staring into the black sky as it slowly filled up with grey clouds. The moon shone bright overhead, waiting for the stories to be told.

"It's been nine years.", spoke my father in a whisper. 'Nine years since my father's death but his virtues still haven't left the hearts of the people. I see it in their eyes when they shoot daggers into me, hoping I was him. Why is it so? Why can't people just accept what is given to them? Is it that hard to be thankful and accepting?!', he shot up straight.

I shifted in the grass slowly, settling into a more comfortable position. If we are going to be here for long, we better be comfortable. I watched as my father wiped the tears off of his cheeks and sniffed into the cooling air. I looked at my watch and it was already half past two. I barely had any time left to be sneaking around. Just when I was planning on my route back to my room without being heard or seen, I heard footsteps on the grass. On squinting to look closer in the dim light of the inside, I watched as my father slowly paced back to the castle and close the door behind himself with a loud bang, almost as if in frustration.

This was the perfect time for me to disappear out into the darkness of the reality. Double-checking every area with a possible sleepy guard lurking around, I finally made a run through the clearing. I heard my heart pound in my chest as I thought about the possibility of my father staring me down through the windows. Ignoring the voices telling me to look back to make sure I was alone, I ran faster than I ever thought I could. It wasn't long before I reached the lowered fence. I didn't think twice before stepping on the bars and making a painful exit outside the castle.

Finally, some time alone for myself where no one refers to me as 'Your Majesty' or 'Mister Alexander Dean Smith himself'. I can be free!

x__________x__________x_________x

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

QUESTION OF THE CHAPTER:

Is Alexander's father actually psychotic or is he just trying to find a way to vent out is anger and frustration?

Put your guess in the comments. ---->

Make sure you press that star at the end of the page if you loved what you read!
  |
  |
  |
  |
  |
  \/